Exit Art Press on Thu, 30 Aug 2007 17:52:00 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> ELECTRIC LAB: Opening September 20

.
Title: Untitled Document

(Mailing list information, including unsubscription instructions, is located at the end of this message.)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 2007
PRESS CONTACT: Sarah Ryhanen
212-966-7745 x 15 /sarah(at)exitart.org

ELECTRIC LAB
Artists explore the potential and history of electricity

September 20- November 17, 2007
Opening Thursday, September 20, 7-10 pm

Jamie Allen, The Bruce High Quality Foundation, Kelly Dobson, Melissa Dubbin and Aaron S. Davidson, Arthur Elsenaar and Remko Scha, Erik Guzman, Flash Light, LoVid, Brendan McGillicuddy, Bryan Mesenbourg, Arnaldo Morales, Marco Roso, Simon Schiessl, Gregory Shakar, Luke Stettner, Hap Tivey, Seth Weiner, Revel Woodard

Electricity is one of life’s most fundamental forces; it courses through our bodies and powers our computers. Today, the shortage and high cost of electricity is a pressing issue. The rethinking of energy production and consumption is imperative as we face depleted natural resources, environmental damage, and exponential population growth.

Electric Lab is dedicated to experimentation and art-making practices within the ranges of electricity. Artists were asked to suggest new ways to access electricity and explore its power. This exhibition is inspired by and dedicated to the scientist Nicola Tesla, who desired free access to electricity for all.

During the course of this exhibition, Exit Art will be transformed into an electric laboratory in which artists will work everyday on individual, public-interactive and collaborative projects.

The exhibition includes projects from 21 international artists:

Jamie Allen builds an archaic hand-cranked generator through which visitors can supply power to other works in the exhibition.
The artist collective Bruce High Quality Foundation will build a quarter sized scale model of the BP filling station located adjacent to Exit Art. Powered by lemons and limes, the replica hints at the ironies associated with BP’s green rebranded image.
Kelly Dobson’s kinetic sculptural works explore the psychological relationships we form with machines.
Collaborators Melissa Dubbin and Aaron S. Davidson fabricate a neon sign that illuminates the rivalry between Tesla and Edison.
Arthur Elsenaar and Remko Scha study the mechanisms of human facial _expression_ in the series Electric Eigen Portraits.
Erik Guzman’s sculptures use light and motion to covey the kinetic energy of a celestial eclipse.
Flash Light explores renewable energy with a solar powered tin can candle.
In their interactive sculpture, Lighter Than Air and Easier to Carry, the artist duo LoVid use the body’s electrical signals to modify pitch tones.
Brendan McGillicuddy combines a Van der Graaf machine and taxidermy to create a portal into an improbable 19th century diorama.
Bryan Mesenbourg uses found objects to create an interactive installation that forces the audience to reevaluate their tactical experience with electricity.
The sculptures of Arnaldo Morales expose the raw and visceral attributes of an electrical current.
Marco Roso’s window installation Hangover is a fog-filled space that pulsates with a strobe light, referencing the electric haze of the 90’s Rave scene.
Simon Schiessl reflects on the current global energy crisis with a fallen power tower constructed of fluorescent light tubes.
Gregory Shakar’s Magnitudes of Tempered Consonance is an installation that allows participants to perform tuned "lightning" through audible, musically tempered electrical flames.
Luke Stettner turns a gallery wall into an electrical receptor that physically draws visitors into an otherwise empty space.
Hap Tivey contrasts the work of Thomas Edison and Nicola Tesla through a LED portrait that draws from both the AC and DC electronic grid.
Seth Weiner's installations explore the natural phenomena of electricity through experiments in the creation of St. Elmo's Fire and the application of electronic muscle stimulation for the reanimation of meat.
Revel Woodard creates an electric love seat based on the Victorian “tete-a-tete” chair.

PROGRAMS
The ubiquitous presence of audio amplification in Electric Lab references the drastic effect the advent of electricity had on the human relationship to sound and audiovisuals. Electric Lab will be shown in conjunction with three evenings of music, performance and an ongoing film series.

October 11th, 9-11pm: Koen Holtkamp, Queens, and Corridors will perform their minimal electro-acoustic music.
October 18th, 9pm-Midnight: A night of electricity-inspired music featuring the DJs Crunc Tesla, Prince Language and Brennan Green.
October 25th, 8-10pm: Live performances by LoVid and Jamie Allen.

For more information on programming visit www.exitart.org

ABOUT EXIT ART
Exit Art is an independent vision of contemporary culture. We are prepared to react immediately to important issues that affect our lives. We do experimental, historical and unique presentations of aesthetic, social, political and environmental issues. We absorb cultural differences that become prototype exhibitions. We are a center for multiple disciplines. Exit Art is a 25 year old cultural center in New York City founded by Directors Jeanette Ingberman and Papo Colo. It has grown from a pioneering alternative art space into a model artistic center for the 21st century committed to supporting artists whose quality of work reflects the transformations of our culture. Exit Art is internationally recognized for its unmatched spirit of inventiveness and consistent ability to anticipate the newest trends in the culture. With a substantial reputation for curatorial innovation and depth of programming in diverse media, Exit Art is always on the verge of change.

EXHIBITION SUPPORT
General exhibition support provided by Altria Inc., Brown Foundation, Carnegie Corporation, Jerome Foundation, JPMorgan Chase, New York State Council on the Arts, Rockefeller Brothers Fund, Starry Night Fund at The Tides Foundation, Exit Art’s Board of Trustees and our members.
Support for Public Programming provided by The New York City Department of Cultural Affairs.
Additional project support provided by the Cultural Department of the Consulate General of Spain in New York

GENERAL INFORMATION
Exit Art is located at 475 Tenth Avenue at 36th Street. Exit Art is open each Tuesday through Thursday, 10 am – 6 pm; Friday, 10 am – 8 pm; Saturday, noon – 8 pm Closed Sunday and Monday. There is a suggested donation of $5. For more information, the public may call 212-966-7745 or visit www.exitart.org.

# # # #

The following information is a reminder of your current mailing list subscription:

You are subscribed to the following list:

Exit Art Press

using the following email:

nettime-ann@nettime.org

You may automatically unsubscribe from this list at any time by visiting the following URL:

http://listserve.exitculture.org/cgi-bin/dada/mail.cgi/u/Press/

If the above URL is inoperable, make sure that you have copied the entire address. Some mail readers will wrap a long URL and thus break this automatic unsubscribe mechanism.

You may also change your subscription by visiting this list's main screen:

http://listserve.exitculture.org/cgi-bin/dada/mail.cgi/list/Press

If you're still having trouble, please contact the list owner at:

jeanette@exitart.org

The following physical address is associated with this mailing list:

Exit Art 475 Tenth Avenue, NYC 10018