carlais on Wed, 22 Sep 1999 20:25:38 -0500

Syndicate: Arts Parliament....

	Dear Trevor:

	You asked what is the Independent Artists "ARTS PARLIAMENT." I will try to
answer you hoping that the idea will be the same in english.

	First some history:

	Since I came from Brazil in 1994  I started with the idea of having an
organization in which we could teach art and other disciplines, using a
different method. My ideas have some influence that come from
psichoanalisis (specifically Lacan) and consequently the way I saw this
experimental school (that was called "Centro Experimental de Artes y
Estudios Interdisciplinarios" / "Experimental Center for the Arts and
Interdisciplinary Studies") as the way to form more open and complete
(intelectually and morally) citizens.

This first idea (I have the introductory book with the ideas of this
organization written in Spanish), of this organization was to give more
importance to Art as a way to understand life, reality, morality, freedom,
democracy.
As a consequnce of this propossal I started the school with two professors,
but I had to tell them to leave because they did not had the energy to
acomplish the project (they prefered the old teaching methods that are
applied here).
I continued this school by mi own with 10 students. The results where good
since we found that most of them became better students in the traditional
schools.
But I had to close this little institution because of the economical
situation of Ecuador, and because I had to go to the USA, country in which
I was for two years.

	When I came back from the US  I found that in Ecuador we needed a project
for education, art and culture. Since we have a very high percent of
non-educated people (meaning that they do not how to read or write), I
thought that having a project to improve this situation was a good idea.
But my interest where not only for the improvement of education of poor
people, because the educational system is the same for everyone.

Considering that technologie, art and education come together I think we
should teach using art and technology. This teaching should be for anyone
and for everyone. All of us need this.

	"Artistas Independientes," is not a foundation or organization of this
type. becaiuse of my anarchist beliefs I can not make of Artistas
Independientes a tradicional Institution. I want this to be a very dynamic
organization, with members from all countries. The main interest of
Artistas Independientes is to improve society and to promote the Arts.
I consider that anyone has the capacity to create. That makes of any
individual a potencial artist. We are Independent since we see us as a
reflection of the others.

The ARTS PARLIAMENT is an open space for discussion. Artists and people
from other areas are welcome to participate.
The Arts Parliament is not an organization. It is part of the Independent
Artists structure.
The Arts Parliament can take place in any country. That depends just in the
interest that other will have in this project.

A Web Site for this project will be posted on the Internet.

	Here I'm including a text that I sent to the syndicate list some months
ago. In this text has been included a program for a group of forums and
debates that where going to take place in Ecuador (august 15).
This event couldn't take place because some practical, political and
tehoetical reasons. A text about this I will post maybe the next week
....I will have to wait for the translation!

ARTS PARLIAMENT

 Independent Artists

_________________

TOPICS FOR DISCUSSION (1)

DAY ONE

THE ROLE OF ART

1. WHAT IS CULTURE
2. DOES CULTURE NEED A PHILOSOPHICAL BASIS?
3. ART AND CULTURAL HABITUS

DAY TWO

THE SENSE OF CULTURE

1. THE REALITY OF CULTURE AND ITS SOCIAL CONTEXT
2. ART RELIGION AND CULTURE
3. ART AND EDUCATION

DAY THREE

THE REASONS FOR THE CRISIS IN CREATIVE PRODUCTION

1. PSYCHOLOGY AND CREATIVITY
2. THE ARTIST OF THE FUTURE
3. THE FUNCTION OF LANGUAGE

DAY FOUR

THE ROLE OF BEING CREATIVE IN THE SOCIAL, POLITICAL AND SCIENTIFIC FIELDS

1. ART AND TECHNOLOGY
2. EDUCATION AND THE APPLICATION OF CREATIVE DEVELOPMENT METHODS
3. INSTITUTIONS, CULTURE AND ART IN GENERAL

DAY FIVE

ART AS A LANGUAGE OF CULTURE AND THE INFLUENCE OF TECHNOLOGY

1. THE ARTIST AS AN EXEMPLARY SUFFERER
2. DIGITAL APOLOGY
3. LANGUAGE AND CONTEXT
4. FINAL DEBATE

DAY SIX

WORK PROPOSAL

1. PLAN AND PROJECTS TO BE CARRIED OUT ON A SHORT AND LONG TERM BASIS

INTRODUCTION

Independent Artists,     we are a group of people (2) specialized in different
fields and work areas who share a fundamental concern on the development of
the arts and the culture of Ecuador.  We have given shape to this entity
with the sole purpose of an active participation on the improvement process
put forward and we are willing to participate with our ideas and work in
each project tending to tackle the Cultural and Art Crisis in Ecuador. (3)

After looking at the increasing success in Quito of the so called 'Month of
the Arts' event which has extended itself to other cities, we feel our
obligation to put forward our share for this offer.  We are shure that our
contribution will help in the paths of improvement and perfection of the
educational system forcing these to became increasingly demanding.

ARTS PARLIAMENT

It is not the first time nor will be the last, when an event of such nature
not only is proposed in order to look at various topics of national
interest but global nature.
Various events have taken place before, each focused in different ways and
thus with results according to their nature, which ought to be analyzed.
However on this occasion it is an idea which not only will frame itself
within the artistic field but, will imply as its objective to include in
the debate current affairs relating to the CULTURAL CRISIS and the
situation of Art and Culture in Ecuador.

Ecuadorian artists have confronted the consequence of an archaic
educational system for a long time. Such system has produced a total absence
on the interest for general culture and the production of Ecuadorian and
foreign artists.

Bearing in mind the importance of Cultural production and analyzing the
relation between the latter with social behaviour, we think it of great
importance an analysis of the cause for this reality.

Art and Culture together with other areas related, which complement each
other, thus giving shape to the social system are undergoing a critical
epoque. A state we consider appropriate in order to stablish a debate on
such important topics as:

1. The role of the arts
2. The sense of culture
3. The cause for the crisis on creative production
4. The task of being creative in the social, politic and scientific fields
5. Art as a language of culture and technological influence

Search, investigation both theoretical and practical, reflexion and
communication and intercommunication, are essential elements for the
development of Art and  Culture.

The first "Parliament of the Arts" will take place during the 'Month of the
Arts' in Quito - Ecuador -. Representatives from various entities such as
foundations, businesses or independent groups who either share or not as
their policy a commitment with the arts, will participate on this venue.
Participants such as plastic artists, musicians, writers, special guests
and other involved in fields not considered within the arts will also take
part.

Due to the complexity of the topics to be undertaken, a long term, joint
work cronogram will be established between schools, universities, the
community, and foreign organizations.  All this in order to motivate the
interest for culture and to establish an interdisciplinary work system.
Furthermore discussions and debates will be planned to take place
throughout the year.

The interdisciplinary system to be used should promote the creation,
application and development of practical and theoretical projects.

This Parliament will handle various views from the community in general.
Likewise a permanent and positive contact with the community will be
maintained by means of conferences, meetings, courses, art manifestations,
thus, a conceptual task, thecreation of a system, integration,
specification, specialization of theories, conceptual and theoretical
confrontation and the integration of the various arts, including those not
considered as such.

Activities to take place both on a short and long term basis will consist
the foundation for the growth not only of our proposal but also for a whole
range of thoughts, ideas, theories, practical tasks and every other that
might fall under our field of action, which in turn will be  practical and
possible to be undertaken.

The Arts Parliament will also have its space in the Internet, a Web Site
will be created under the auspices of the interested parties. By means of
this site summaries or if the case be, the complete text of the most
important forums, which have taken place during the event will be
presented. Equally a virtual forum should be established, for the discussion
of the topics to be put forward during the event and other topics proposed
by the participants.

Publications on a yearly and annual basis will take place with the
contribution of professionals in each field, always focusing Culture and
Education.
projects from artists both national and foreign who meet sufficient
theoretical and practical criteria in order to maintain long and short term
proposals will be promoted.

The global communication network, Internet, provides numerous
possibilities, becoming an advantage for culture, its development,
promotion and improvement.
We consider it is time for the society (Ecuadorian society in particular),
particular the young to enter into the world of immediate communication.
this can accelerate the process of knowledge and stimulate investigation.
The availability of material we posses by means of the Internet ismost
valuable, due to its access and versatility.

Notes:
(1) This program was changed latter but maintaining the same structure.
(2) We were three persons at this time.
(3) This not means that the project is only local.

I want to invite to anyone tha could be interested in represent Artistas
Independientes (Independent Artists)  in his/her country. This will implies
the organization of the Arts Parliament.
The persons that could be interested will have the liberty to proposse the
theme for each Parliament, also will have the authority to represent
Artistas Independientes in any country.

To be part of this you just have to want it.

For  comments and/or questions you can write us to our e-mail address:

carlais@hoy.net

Or to this list if you want to make your requirements public.

All the best,

Damian Toro C.
Independent Artists
ARTS PARLIAMENT