Zarana Papic on Fri, 03 Sep 1999 03:56:10 +0200

[Fwd: [Fwd: [Fwd: [Fwd: [Fwd: WOMEN IN BLACK AGAINST WAR CONFERENCE]]]]]

 	WOMEN IN BLACK AGAINST WAR
                   	   Eight International Meeting
            "Network of Women's Solidarity Against War"
                         Ulcinj, Montenegro
                         7-10 October 1999

                 IF YOU WANT PEACE - PREPARE PEACE

	If we look back at the year behind us, we the anti-war activists
see that regimes, miliataries and international forces have strengthen
fascism on Balkans.  We  lived through ethnic cleansing and bombing at
the
same time.  It was painful.  And still it is difficult. First of all
there
are less of us now then the last year.   Not all the dead are counted.
More
women are raped.   Hatred and silent forgetting of the Other is
permenently
increasing.  Nationalism continues to produce ideology of victim.
Fascism and
nationalism  have brought poverty and misery.    There are new
contradictions
among pacifists:  can we get to peace with bombs and war?   Global
militarism
has  made bigger profit.  European left will never be the same.  Kosovo
as
well.  At least.   And, women in peace negotiations are still missing.

This year Women in Black are gathering for the first time in
Montenegro.  We have chosen to meet, exchange our thoughts,
feelings and common actions right here  for different reasons:
first, because this is a place on which it is possible that activists
from
all divided regions of the country that is still called FR Yugoslavia
can
meet:   Kosovo, Vojvodina, Serbia, Sandzak, Montengro.  Second,  this is
one of the regions in which foreign people with passports can
come in, without visas.  Third, city of Ulcinj is on the Adriatic
coast - we believe that we need beauty of Mediterranean nature
and joy of different cultures and languages we can find there.

Programm

Thursday 7, October
arrival of participants
dinner with few joyful words

Friday  8, October

morning

	panel: ETHNIC CLEANSING - NATO INTERVENTION
		 "Increasing militarism -  global and local"

themes:
    - fascism of Serbian regime - ethnic cleansing on Kosovo
    - global and local militarisation:  of institutions,
consciousness, everyday life
    - UN/NATO/European community:  trap of human rights
    - pacifist feminist ethics:  collective responsibility -
individual guilt

afternoon

working groups

1.	Militarisation of consciousness and social relations:  hatred
against Other
2.	Searching for the pacifist feminist ethics:  Collective
responsibility -
Individual guilt - Solidarity
3.	Obtaining peace with war? Traps of humanitarian
interventions
4.	Was my situation the worst? - We care for ourselves and
others at the same time

dinner
video:  Women in Black, documentary from "97

Saturday 9 October

morning
panel exchange
	RESISTANCE TO WAR - EXPERIENCE OF WOMEN
	.... and pie and performance in front of the Ministry and
music and making obstacles to military bases and text and peace
march and telephoning a friend on the other side and Marina
Tzvetajeva and demonstration and e-mail message and cruising
on the market and angryness...

	We invite participants to prepare 5 minutes in which they will
inform us how they resist -individually or collectivelly- war, sexism,
militarism, nationalism in the last year.  Translation is simultaneous.

afternoon

EIGHT YEARS OF WOMEN IN BLACK - vigils in Podgorica.
Podgorica is the capital of Montenegro, on 2 hours bus ride from
Ulcinj.  Bring black clothes.

evening

dinner, party
bring dancing music on cassettess

Sunday 10 October

morning

panel
CREATING PEACE - WHAT TO DO TOGETHER
education for peace, campaigns, political
analysis, support, e-mail exchange

lunch for goodbye and embraces

The foreign participants can come to Ulcinj from different sides:
Bar-Bari,
ferryboat from Italy,  by the road from Dubrovnik, Croatia and by the
road
 from Sarajevo, Bosnia.   The full price of a day cost 40DM.  We suggest
that
those who can, pay 50DM and the rest of the money will be used for
immediate
collective expenses (bus, etc).

Happy to see you there.

Women in Black Belgrade