McKenzie Wark on Wed, 1 Sep 1999 17:54:57 +1000 (EST)

Syndicate: Art and the Academy

Other Voices, Other Rooms: Eccentricity and Creativity in
the Arts
McKenzie Wark

The title of this conference, Other Voices, Other Rooms,
gave me nightmares. It's true. I was trying to think of what
to say today as I fell asleep, and I had the strangest dream.

I teach media studies at Macquarie University. As you may
know, this is one of the oldest media production courses
running in any Australian university. Its a place where the
scholarly and the creative have coexisted, not without some
friction, for many years now.

We teach video and audio production, and we have
recording studios, with big thick wooden doors to make
them soundproof. Anyway, in the dream, I'm locked in the
recording studio, and no matter how hard I shout, nobody
hears me, nobody lets me out.

I have this speech printed out and it is with me, in the
recording studio, and I know I'm supposed to be in
Wollongong to give it to you, but I'm locked in a studio at
Macquarie and I can't get out.

So what to make of this dream? There's some fairly banal
anxieties in there. I'd leave it to my analyst, if I had one, to
worry about that. But that's the problem with analysis, with
interpretation in general, is that often it reduces the
unconscious to fairly banal and well worn meanings.

Not being terribly creative, I don't think I can get all that
much out of the dream that is more interesting, but there is
one thing in it that is relevant to this other voices, other
rooms theme.

It seems to me that the creative arts are another voice, and
they occupy another room, in relation to the humanities,
social sciences, even the sciences, in the university. The
creative artist shouts from another room, but that room is a
bit of a padded cell. No sound gets out into the wider
university community.

Just look, for example, at the kinds of points you get for
creative work under the DEETYA research quantum rules
as they currently stand. Your novel or symphony is worth a
fraction of what a scholarly monograph is worth.

Incidentally, Macquarie university also had one of the first
writing courses ever taught in Australia. Only it was called
"literary craftsmanship" and it was offered by the English
department. Only trouble was, you got no teaching load
credit for teaching it. It was expect that it would be done on
the side, in another room, as it were. As if writing were not
really the business of an English department.

Part of the problem is a genuine problem about the status of
art as a discourse, or set of types of discourse. There really
isn't any such thing as an artistic discourse. There's no
essential feature all art has. But there might be family
resemblances that link different kinds of art, and so the term
is not entirely meaningless.

Some kinds of artistic discourse are really rather like
academic discourses in some respects. There are rules of
composition. There are conventions about appropriate and
inappropriate kinds of statement. There are authorities who
perform the function of authorising statements to be made,
as art or as scholarship, and there are people who become,
thereby, entitled to act in the role of artist or scholar.

Some of these institutional features are very similar.
Publishers and editors, for example, vet manuscripts for
both literature and scholarship. The blind refereeing system
is common to both. There are even appropriate and
inappropriate ways of citing one's sources. A novelist can
allude to another text, but can't pinch it wholesale. So for
instance Bernard Cohen's writing can be authorised as
literature, but under the current rules, Helen Darville's
writing isn't.

Given the similarity in institutional procedure, surely it
would be simple to make this other room a legitimate part
of academic discourse? Why should I feel like I am shouting
in a sound proof booth when I'm in the creative part of the
university?

There may be some more obstacles to overcome in other
media. How would a visual artist or a choreographer make
a case for her or his institutionalised discourse as one that
could be compared to an academic one? With some
difficulty. But it isn't impossible.

Now, there is a risk in this. We risk making the discourse of
art subservient to that of scholarship. I think that's also a
way to think about this unheard voice from the soundproof
booth. Even if an equivalence can be made between art and
scholarship, do we really want to make them the same.

Rather than making art like scholarship, maybe what we
want to do is make scholarship like art. A characteristic of at
least some art is that while the discourse network is similar
in terms of the way it is authorised, there is a much more
heterogeneous audience on the other end of it.

Perhaps it would be a good thing if some, and certainly not
all, scholarship in the humanities and social sciences sought
to experiment with the kinds of audiences, readerships, it
could compose. This was certainly part of my ambition
when I wrote The Virtual Republic and published it with
the trade division of Allen & Uwin.

There's a lot of talk about 'difference' in the humanities
academy, but regardless of the colour or gender of the
speaker, sometimes there is the most utterly homogenous
space within which that talk is supposed to circulate. One of
the things scholarship might learn from art is the skill of
composing different kinds of audience.

This might be another way to think about the other voice
shouting and not being heard in the soundproof booth. Its
not the voice of the arts in the academy, its the voice of the
academy itself, scholarship itself, which has locked itself
within its own sound proof room and can't get out.

There are a few different ways that innovation, creativity
and change happens in the academy. Sometimes, a new
kind of statement is proposed within the traditional
discourse network, and sometimes, after a bit of a fuss,
someone with an authority function decides to approve it.
Somebody makes a decision to publish something, or to hire
someone, or to accept a conference paper, and a small
change in the discourse takes place.

So for example, you've got the word "cyber" which is newly
approved, and the word "feminism" which has been
approved for some time, and then along comes
"cyberfeminism", and eventually that gets approved too. A
bit harder is the case where you have "cyber" and you have
"queer", both with semi approved status -- there aren't a lot
of full professors of either cyber or queer studies. but sooner
or later there will be cyberqueer studies. Indeed there
already is.

Similar things happen in the arts. You have feminist art and
you have performance art, and then eventually you have
feminist performance art. But it will only happen when it is
approved within the traditional network of authority.

Sometimes this requires the creation of new authorities, so it
is not just new statements being accepted by the old
authorities, its new ways to qualify as an authority, or
rather, new ways tacked onto the old.

In short, creativity in both the arts and the academy is a
matter of innovating new moves within the rules of the
game. Sometimes, it also means creating new rules. This
happens much more slowly in the academy than in the arts.
And so it should, I think. One of the functions of the
academy, and I stress only one, should be to resist fashion,
to hasten slowly, to be untimely.

Part of the tension between art and scholarship has to do
with differences of tempo, I think, rather than differences in
discursive institution. They function much the same way,
but rarely at the same speed.

But there is one kind of creativity that is very rare, and very
difficult. In fact, almost impossible within the humanities
and social sciences, but not in the arts. I'm talking about the
kind of creativity that escapes from the rules of the game,
and the authorities of the game, and invents its own
conditions of existence and relation to its audience.

I'm talking about the kind of art that is, as Beckett said, a
"Strangeness so entire as even to withstand the stock
assimilations to holy patrimony, national and other." This
kind of art is what Jean-Francios Lyotard defined as the
postmodern, the moment within the modern that "refuses
the solace of good form."

Now, as Niall Lucy has pointed out in his excellent
poststructuralist critique of postmodern thought, this idea
of the postmodern as an open questioning of form, a
sublime escape from sense, is basically romanticism. The
Jena Romantics, the Schlegels, Hlderlin, wanted to join
literature and literary theory in the one creative act, an act
that would at one and the same time open a completely new
space of expression and touch the inexpressible.

I mentioned that there is a danger in making art look too
much like scholarship, and that scholarship can learn
something from art. In particular, how to create audiences.
But I think there's another danger, which is not that art will
loose its heterogeneous public audience, but that it will get
too  much of an audience, an audience with predictable
expectations and often the power to enforce them. In short,
the other danger is in closing off the space for the radical
otherness that the romantic aesthetic promises. Art can
become routine.

There is creativity in art and scholarship, although it takes
somewhat different forms. But there is also the creativity of
creativity, the creation of new kinds of creation. That I think
is something that can only exist outside of the academic
institution. In fact, it has to have its time alone outside of
any institution, for escaping institutions is what this kind of
creativity is all about.

There is the creativity of creativity, but there is also the
mimicking of the creativity of creativity. it's remarkable
how routinely statements about difference and flux and the
ineffable can be pass around in the humanities. Difference
has become pretty much the same. Its become a fixed
language. This is the somewhat perverse outcome of the
institutional relation between art and scholarship we now
have. Perhaps I'm not shouting from the sound proof booth,
in the dream, perhaps I'm howling, a wordless yelp that is
refusing to be classified under the existing authorised canon
of difference.

The creativity of creativity is something that can't be
directly institutionalised without turning it into routine. But
it is something that can pass through the institution, on its
way out into nothingness. I think there's a subtle role for
scholarship in not turning the art from the outside into its
own patrimony, or that of some other collective identity.

In short, art brings two things to the academy. One is the
heterogeneous audience, the establishing of which may
require some innovation in statements and rules and
authorities -- but often not much. The other is the
heterogeneous work -- the work that cannot be
homogenised into the ruling canon of difference of the day.

In short, I think there is a place for art that seeks, on ethical
grounds, to create new kinds of community, and I think the
academy should be part of that process. A lot of my own
work takes this direction.

But I also think that there is a place for art that seeks
complete alterity. The academy cannot be a part of that
process, but it can be a custodian of its possibility.

Its not common that these things go together. There's the
cultural studies people who are interested in communities
of meaning making, and there's the avant garde people who
are interested in overcoming accepted practices of meaning
making. I've also had a bit of a foot in both camps. I've
written about Kylie Minogue and also about John Kinsella,
for example.

But I think the relationship of scholarship to these different
kinds of art differs. In one case, I might be experimenting
with ways of making public utterances, making statements
that can exist in hybrid spaces that are part academic, part
media, part art world.

But in the other example, writing about John Kinsella's
poetry, I might be doing something quite different. It may
be more about assuring the passage of John's more
challenging writing around the obstacles set up for it in
both literary and scholarly discourses, easing its passage
through and beyond them.

Perhaps, finally, this is what I was shouting about, in the
soundproof booth. I was shouting to myself. There's me in
the booth, there's me outside, and I was dreaming about
what the connection was between the different things I do,
the cultural studies stuff and the avant garde critical stuff.
The soundproof booth was about the fact that I did not
know how these two aspects of my own work were
connected. So this paper is an attempt at an answer, and one
which I hope provides a diagram for others, for your
conference. In any case, thankyou for the opportunity of
dremaing out loud.