Naskov on Sun, 6 Jun 1999 13:03:16 EDT

Syndicate: Even in Refugee Camps, Women's Work Never Don

Sunday, June 6, 1999 Even in Refugee Camps, Women's Work Never Done
 Survival: Sweeping up is one way to exercise a small bit of control over
their daily lives. So much else for them is now a shambles.
By ALISSA J. RUBIN, Times Staff Writer

CEGRANE CAMP, Macedonia--In the early morning hours, before the visiting
dignitaries come for their escorted tours, before the press arrives, before
even the humanitarian aid workers get here, this camp is a woman's world.
     Using a small broom bought in one of the provision stores that have
sprung up in every refugee camp in Macedonia, one woman after another begins
her daily ritual--often repeated a dozen times a day--of sweeping the bare
earth in front of her tent and laying anew the cardboard boxes that serve as
a doormat. In the growing heat, when a scorching wind blasts for much of the
day and coats everything with a fine layer of dust, the devotion to
cleanliness seems a hopelessly quixotic effort.
     But sweeping up is one of the few ways that women in the camps can
exercise some small bit of control over their daily lives. Even with the
prospect of returning to their homeland growing bright again, so much else is
a shambles.
     With dusk, despite all efforts, order vanishes. In the tents of recently
arrived refugees, small children often vomit for days before getting
accustomed to the food, and across the camp infants and toddlers cry--off and
on--throughout the night, which means that the women go without sleep as they
attempt to comfort their children.
     Perhaps most disconcerting for many of these women, who fled from homes
in small villages surrounded by fields and trees, is this nocturnal noise
that is a byproduct of living in a sea of people. At this camp, the largest
in Macedonia, about 30,000 refugees are all but stacked on top of one
another--a city by any estimation.
     "The first night I came here, I felt I was in a huge, dark cave. There
was noise from every side, but I could not see anything," said Fiza Jashari,
33, who has spent about a month in the camp.
     For some women, the night brings something worse than sleeplessness.
Women have begun to come forward to report that they are being physically
abused by their husbands. One was knifed and another was beaten with a hammer
here, according to aid workers. Many less extreme cases go unreported, aid
workers believe.
     "The realities for the women in the camps are harsh," said Nancy
Shalala, a spokeswoman for Catholic Relief Services, which runs one of the
camps. She was visiting Cegrane to discuss with other aid workers how best to
protect women from abuse.
     "Most of the trauma is psychological, but in this situation, the men
feel they've been stripped of the ability to defend their families. They
perceive that they've failed, and some of them take it out on the women,"
Shalala said.
     In traditional Kosovo Albanian society, women are unaccustomed to
talking about themselves, much less complaining about the conditions of life
or about their treatment by their spouses. Ask them how they feel about
something and most likely they will shrug and say they are managing.
     But ask them about conditions for their families and suddenly they
become expansive. For they are the defenders of family, the ones responsible
for creating a home life.

     Re-Creating Their Home Environments
     Women are in the majority here. In absolute numbers, they represent 52%
of the refugees, but in the 15-to-44-year-old group, they are
disproportionately represented, said Monika Brulhart, a social worker with
the Office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees. This means that they
bear the brunt of the physical and psychological work of taking care of the
family, she said.
     "In a way, every woman is trying to create the environment that they had
at home. These aren't really conditions for doing that, but we try; we feel
we have to try," said Flora Rexhepi, 28, a mother of two small children, who
fled here with her immediate family.
     "Everyone is sad inside, so we are doing everything we can--washing,
sweeping, cooking--just to forget the past and to not think too much," she
said.
     A short woman with wavy dark hair, Rexhepi sat tensely on the edge of a
cot in her tent as she talked, twisting her daughter's T-shirt in her hands.
She is teaching English to primary school students in the camp, as she did at
home, and like many of the women here, she keeps her tent immaculate. She
spends an hour and a half each morning airing the nine heavy woolen military
blankets that serve as covers and rugs, hanging them on the chicken wire
fencing that encloses the camp.
     For most of the women in most of the camps, the most humiliating aspect
of life is the lack of adequate bathrooms. But the most exhausting is the
lack of a kitchen and washing facilities. Women here typically spend many
hours of every day literally on their knees--scrubbing pots, washing clothes,
making up their tents.
     "The hygienic conditions are terrible," said Myrvete Mehmeti, 23, who
came to Cegrane from a small town in southern Kosovo, a separatist province
of Serbia, the dominant republic in Yugoslavia. Mehmeti is living in a
10-by-10 tent with her sister, her brother and his wife and five children.
     "It's not so bad for the children, because we can wash them in the tap,
but for a woman there is nowhere to go."
     The women do not want to undress at the outdoor communal tap, she said,
and there are no showers at the camp.

     Fruitless Search for a Bathtub
     "We have gone down to the village and knocked on people's doors and
begged them to let us take a bath. But there are so many refugees staying
with families there that they just slam the door. It's humiliating to have to
ask a stranger for such a thing," she said.
     It had been weeks since anyone in the small town a few hundred yards
from the camp would let them use a bathtub, she said.
     The situation is perhaps even worse for Bedrije Vashani, an unemployed
factory worker who received unemployment assistance before she came here but
brought no savings and has no relatives in foreign countries to send her
cash.
     When she went down to the town of Cegrane to beg townspeople to let her
take a bath, they charged her 2 German marks--about $1. She has taken three
baths in five weeks and has no money for a fourth.
     Although it is nearly summer, she was wearing a heavy wool sweater,
which has begun to smell of dried perspiration, but which she said she has no
choice but to keep wearing because she cannot afford to buy a summer shirt.
     For all the women at the camp, doing laundry is a backbreaking task that
first involves hauling water in buckets or in large plastic jugs from a
communal tap, often hundreds of feet from their tents.
     The only way to heat the water is to leave it sitting in the sun. Then
it is poured into plastic tubs, soap is added, and the women kneel on the
ground, scrubbing each item of clothing. New water must be added, sometimes
two or three times, to wash out the soap, and then the whole process is
repeated for the next batch of clothes.
     Still, doctors and social workers say that, overall, the women are in
better shape psychologically than the men. That is due in large part to the
amount of time they spend working.
     "Most of the time, you'll see the men sitting in the tents--smoking,
brooding--and that leads to depression," said Visar Nushi, a doctor from
Kosovo who works with Doctors of the World.
     Crucial to the women's psychological health seems to be their ability to
feel that they are successfully creating a home. Nowhere does this seem truer
than at Senekos, one of the smaller camps, which is operated by Mercy Corps
International. Its claim to fame is that it has field kitchens, run by the
refugees, that serve one hot meal a day to every person in the camp. That
task gives back to the Kosovo Albanian women a central role in family
life--that of the cook, the provider of food.

     The Therapy of Cooking
     On a recent morning, the kitchens, which are no more than large tents
with massive stoves and cutting boards, were full of women and men who were
cooking enormous vats of cabbage seasoned with onions, tomatoes and meat.
Each of the kitchens makes enough for 530 people, according to the cooks.
     "When I first came here, I missed cooking a lot, because I was used to
doing it in my home for my family, my parents, my cousins. It is our
tradition to eat a hot meal together in our home every day," said Bahrije
Baftiu, 42, a lively woman with muscular arms who kept tossing her bangs away
from her eyes as she struggled to stir the stew.
     "Now this is our home, and we are trying to create a lot of the things
that we had in Kosovo," she said. "This is our garden, although we have no
grass."