nika fleischmann on Fri, 21 May 1999 13:07:23 +0200

Syndicate: Postdoc position at GMD-IMK.MAR

IMK.MARS http://imk.gmd.de/mars

The GMD http://www.gmd.de INSTITUTE for MEDIA COMMUNICATION (IMK)
department MEDIA ARTS RESEARCH STUDIES (MARS) is offering :

1 RESEARCH SCIENTIST (POSTDOC) POSITION

The new research program combines information technology (interactivity,
networking,telepresence) with artistic expression and diverse thinking.
Computational and aesthetic potential of interactive media will be
investigated by adapting storytelling, writing, composing, choreographing
and dramatizing to digital media and virtual environments.
Cooperation between information technology and the arts - theater, dance,
film, television, museums - create unforeseen questions and new
perspectives of how to sense the changing world.
MARS is concerned about representation and identity in the networked world.
How do we perceive ourselves and others on-line? Our senses are explored
through
experimental interfaces and new communication spaces that redefine social
interaction in a mediated world. Through artistic and playful interdisciplinary
experiments we look for languages of transition. A focus is communication
between people facilitated by their machines.

Aims :
To explore and develop:
* artistic methods and scientific concepts for interactive media
* interactive space: non-linear, scalable, multidimensional
* virtual re-presentation of space and human interaction (avatars/agents)
* the dynamic gesture and movement as interface and I/O device
* the simulation of diversive perception / diversive thinking
* shared virtual environments

Position :
Research Scientist / Postdoc (BAT 2a - 1b) 3 (+2) years contract

       * Area:
       * Electronic Arenas for Performance, Art and Entertainment
       * Distributed Multi-User Virtual Reality
       * Computergrafics, 3D Modelling
       * VRML, CAVE, Virtual Studio, Virtual Balance

       * Qualification:
       * Diploma in Computer Science
       * Expertise in Digital Media Technology
       * SGI, UNIX, C, C++, Inventor, Java