dejancs on Tue, 30 Mar 1999 15:59:33 +0100

Syndicate: Re: open response to dejan sretenovic

Dear Marko,

Thank you for your attention, but you got me wrong. I was
trying to describe the general mood of Serbian people these
days, not to defend the regime.I am not a propagandist of the regime but an
individual who had a lot of troubles in this country working
for Soros Foundation. Swastika and the inscription "NATO
spies" appeared on the facade of the Foundation last morning.
Hard days for those fighting for human rights and democracy
in Yugoslavia are coming. We may disagree on certain matters,
but i still think that all 3 sides are to blame for the
outbreak of the war.You said I simplify things, but I am
afraid that you are the one who simplifies things. You know
Serbian sentimnets about Kosovo and that's the main obstacle
for the Serbs to face the reality they are living in. On the
other side,Albanians have also reached national consensus
about the independence of Kosovo which means that no
Albanian politican has the authority to sign any document
which won't give Kosovo a guarantee for the future separation
from Serbia. Believe me, Serbian and Kosovo realities are
more complex than you can imagine. Two years ago SCCA
Belgade, together with Cultural Center Dodona from Prishtine
organized an exhibition of Albanian artists from Kosovo in
Belgrade. At that time (June 97) it seemed that personal
communication between artistic communities from two cities
could be a channel for the renewal of mutual understandig.
Albanian and Serbian artists even started to make plans for a
a joint show in Prishtine. But, we were naive. Our Albanian
friends suffered public attacks from certain Albanian
politicians and colleagues for exhibiting in Belgrade.
Serbian authorities and nationalists did not pay attention
at all. In December 1997, I was in Prishtine giving two
lectures, one for Serbian and one for Albanian art students.
The division was obviuos, even the personal relations
between senior artists who once studied together were
deteriorated. And the fear for uncertain future to come was
evident with everybody. I am not a politicain to offer a
solution, especially now, but I do not believe that this
intervention without clear idea about the consequences
could contribute to the solution of Kosovo problem. On the
contrary, it only deteriorated the situation and gave
Yugoslav regime oportunity to start a final fight with KLA
accompanied with the exodus of civilians. And the KLA took
the advantage of air raids and started to provoke Serbian
forces as well. Yes, people in Serbia think that this is
an imposed and unjust war beyond all international
principles. It not only made things worse but also
threatens the stabilty of Balkan region and global
interantional relations. Dear Marko, I think
that Western politics felt into a deep decadence with no
sense of responsability and now they sweat trying to find
the most adequate way to get out of this Balkan koshmar. Is
this going to be a new Vietnam? Is it going to do any harm
to Yugoslav president? I saw him yesterday on the TV. He was
smiling. He is probably the only politican involved in this
conflict who still smiles. I might be wrong, but I still
stand for the lines I wrote about the calculation with the
military threat.

I was just to write about media propaganda here when I got
your response and I'll take this opportunity to tell you
how it looks like from here.There are no information in Yugoslav
media about the fights and humanitarian catastrophe on Kosovo
and the assassination of Albanian politicans. When I wrote
that Serbs will pardon Milosevic for previous deeds, I ment
that people here are still living in oblivion and that this
agression will produce not only total oblivion of the roots and
results of Serbian nationlism in the last decade, but
for the real state of affairs on Kosovo. Yes, City Council
of Belgrade organizes each day concerts of rock, pop and
turbo-folk music on the main square in order to improve the
morality of the citizens. But, these poor people know
nothing about catastrophe on Kosovo. As I wrote before,
we live in a complete media darkness. You ask where are the
students? Most of them are hiding from the mobilization.
Protests in this situation?! Let's be serious. It is easy
to stay in Slovenia and dream about the protests aginst the
regime in the middle of the war. If people protest aginst
the aggression it does not mean that they identify themsleves
with the regime but with the their homeland and its future.
And please, have in mind the difference between patriotism
and patridiotism.

Best regards

Dejan Sretenovic