lisa haskel on Wed, 24 Mar 1999 12:21:33 +0000

Re: Syndicate: Re: Yugoslavia

Dear Andreas, Dear Syndicalists,

We will all be thinking about our friends in Serbia right now and so
thanks for the news and reactions.  While the machinary of power
accelerates still more, I agree with Andreas that those we know who
have stayed in Yugoslavia throughout the wars, who work so hard and
against the grain to make spaces and platforms for independent
thinking and opposition action should be uppermost in our minds. If
we are talking about morals and ethics here, then it seems to me that
friendship and trust between individuals is the only certainty we
have... weak though this may seem today.

So I agree absolutely that we should keep those dates in April in our
diaries as a time when we act on this in some definate way, but I
think that we cannot plan or predict anything for a few days at
least. If we meet "in exile", then Sarajevo is certainly a good place
for many reasons, while Arad is close and travel realistic from what
might be left of Yugoslavia. Let us see what is required and what is
possible.

With love to all those in the deeper europe,

lisa