Les ditions Intervention on Fri, 4 Jul 97 18:13:15 -0400

Syndicate: Fwd: ubik amos

Subject:     ubik amos
Sent:        3.7.97 17:45
From:        Ubik Amos, ubik.amos@sympatico.ca
To:          edinter@total.net

lelieu@accent.net

UNIVERS CITY TV presents:	ubik -amos-"20000 lieu(es) sous l'Esker"
an interactive Tv programs with the local TV station in Amos/Abitibi
and News on-line about the 3th symposium of Abitibi/Tescamingue in
visual arts
in the web:http://www.ville.amos.qc.ca/sympo
date:7/07/97 to 20/07/97

you can participate to this event via Internautes Cuseeme reflector
IP: 147.94.38.3 ID:1
or by mail at: ubik.amos@sympatico.ca
or vander@compuserve.com

Apart from the lectures on the geomorphology of the Abitibi, there will
be a conference in the second week of the symposium, Friday and Saturday
17 and 18 July, from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. This conference is conceived
as a discursive pendant to the artistic activity solicited by the
symposium:
On the physical plane, the esker (solid) is apposed to water-ice
(fluid). The two surface aspects are brought together through the key
symbol of the erratic.
Institutionalized practices generated by science, the arts, the economy,
and information technology are baffled by the new approaches of chaos
science; we are witnessing a passage from solid to fluid .

Theme of discussion
>From solid to fluid  proposes a reflection on phenomena of phasal
changes, which are perceptible primarily in thermodynamics, but also on
several objective levels: in the arts, at work, in science, information,
etc. From solid to fluid  attempts to draw conclusions on the notion of
passage: from the standpoint of a preoccupation with reality and
absolute truth, in the steps of Aristotle, Newton, Descartes, modern
philosophies attempted totalitarianism in their grasp of physical
phenomena. Thus scientific thinking established itself with its
paraphernalia of demonstration, verification, counter-expertise. The
most feasible hypotheses are considered, and slowly explored in various
validating processes..

Chaos science
But behold: a new intellectual approach, greatly initiated by Edward
Lorenz in the early 60s, decides to take on such phenomena as
turbulance, flux, climate, maelstroms, and wind, in other words, all
phenomena of phase change. Where is the border between water and steam,
lava and rock, what happens at the moment of passage from solid to
liquid  and from solid to gas? These phenomena became the field of study
for a new science, a sience of overlappings which obtained its
definitive name in July of 1977 at the first Colloque sur le chaos in
Câ?¢me, Switzerland. The new science had the additional effect of
>destabilizing the traditional scientific institution (solid) and of
throwing itself into movement and dynamics (fluid). Finally, serious
scientists approached such topics as the dynamics of drops of water,
interstitial dimensions described on a fractional basis, universality,
etc., and produced startling results with strange attractors, fractals
applied to population analyses, passage to chaos and return to
universality, the magic number 4.669201 discovered by Mitchel Feigenbaum
and enshrined with the elite comprising pi = 3.1416 and Einstein's e=
mc.

Art
In parallel, this passage from solid to fluid  is also a phenomenon in
the field of art: from the institutional arts which rest on permanent
objects of contemplation (the canvas, the sculpture, music) with their
instrument of validation, museology; to current art which addresses the
questions of dynamics, ephemera, phase changes, the same potential for
exploration is there. So conceptual art, performance, media arts, works
in progress, maneuvers, comprise the art of overlapping. Once the
subject matter of the canvas and the subject matter of theatre have been
understood, one should now look towards the zone between the two. New
approaches of practice and understanding of art modify the relationship
with the public (audience), and with life. Artists' residences, open
workshops, symposia, are part of the counter-institutional current.

Information
Information has evolved in the same direction: the tools of
communication subject to State control, press agencies and major
sponsors in liberalised Internet, accessible in real time and free from
content laws (for some time yet); communications is also going from
solid, in the sense of a structure of control and conventions, to fluid,
as free-flowing data.

Overlapping thought
The concept of passage and of phase change abolishes all linear
approaches and leads to a practice of rupture, towards non-linear
phenomena. Now this practice of non-linear phenomena is really an art of
overlapping thought. Once again, art defined as a experimentation of
reality, works very precisely on the overlapping of disciplines: thus
media and multimedia arts use tools and concepts to divert from their
initial specific function. Here again we will find the passage from
solid to fluid,  the seeping of one field into another, an information
flux from one computer to another, a mass of data flowing through
telephone lines, of bits flowing through co-axial cables, a myriad of
octets bombarded amid antennae and satellites. This overlapping of
thought supported by increasingly powerful tools, with speeds now
approaching the speed of the human mind, installs a kind of
liquification of matter within a hypermediation of physical phenomena.
>From solid to fluid  will therefore approach some aspects of these
fin-de-siÂ?cle dynamics â?? In search of the body real and virtual.

The guests
The invited panelists are working in the following fields : philosophy,
humanities, informatic and multimedia, science of chaos (mathematics),
history of art amd actual art, theater and performance, geomorphology
and landscape.
Rose-Marie Arbour, universitŽ du QuŽbec Ë? MontrŽal
Knut Ove Arntzen, universitŽ de Bergen, Norv�ge
Luc Bureau, universtŽ Laval, QuŽbec
Guy Sioui Durand, universitŽ du QuŽbec Ë? Chicoutimi, QuŽbec
Serge Occhietti, universitŽ du QuŽbec Ë? MontrŽal, QuŽbec
Francine PŽrinet, Oakville Gallery, Oakville, Ontario
Jean Poirier, Ethnoscope, MontrŽal, QuŽbec
MÅ?rten SpÅ?ngberg, critique au Dagens Nyheter, Stockholm, SuÂ?de
Jean-Baptiste Touchard, Æ?cole nationale supŽrieure de crŽation
industrielle, France
Christian Vanderborght, artiste, France

Moderator :
Roger Chamberland, universitŽ Laval, QuŽbec
unitv
http://lia.imt-mrs.fr/unitv
mail:vander@compuserve.com