NECHVATAL Joseph on Sun, 8 Dec 1996 17:07:31 +0100

EXTENDED CONSCIOUSNESS REFRAMED

Please circulate this notice as widely as possible:

Call for Papers and Multimedia Presentations

1st International CAiiA  Research Conference

" CONSCIOUSNESS REFRAMED - art  and consciousness in the post-biological era"

5 & 6 July 1997

Organised by CAiiA - the Centre for Advanced Inquiry in the Interactive Arts,
University of Wales College, Newport, UK.

http://caiiamind.nsad.newport.ac.uk

An international conference to look at new developments in art, science,
technology  and consciousness.

Papers, posters, multimedia presentations and performances  are invited from
artists, professionals, theorists and  researchers in the arts,  architecture,
communications, education, biology, cognitive science, complexity and artificial
life,  and other relevant fields.

Deadline for Paper  Abstracts and Multimedia Presentation proposals

Notification of acceptance

Deadline for Final  papers, detailed Multimedia Proposals and/or CD ROM

Composite  Fee (Conference Registration, accommodation and meals)
will be circa 350 pounds including VAT.

CAiiA  Director:
Roy Ascott:   100143.100@compuserve.com

Conference Coordinator:
Joseph Nechvatal: jnech@imaginet.fr

Programme Committee:
Jonathan Bedworth:  j.m.bedworth@newport.ac.uk
Char Davies:  cdavies@microsoft.com
Dew Harrison: dharriso@newport.ac.uk
Gillian Hunt:ghunt@newport.ac.uk
Joseph Nechvatal: jnech@imaginet.fr
Miroslaw Rogala: rogala@mcs.com
Jill Scott: jscott@zkm.de
Bill Seaman: seaman@umbc.edu
Victoria Vesna: vesna@humanitas.ucsb.edu

The term "post-biological" is intended to cover all aspects of life which are
mediated, extended or transformed by technology, including, and in the case of
this conference, the mind and consciousness. For example, we are interested in
the impact of digital technologies, bio technology and artificial life on art,
as well as the exploring the value of art in understanding cognitive processes,
conceptual modelling and theories of mind. The conference is convened in
order to
enable ideas from a variety of artistic, scientific and other sources to
surface, be exchanged and developed in ways which might further our individual
practice and research in both science and art.

Some of the issues addressed by research fellows and students at CAiiA include:
Mapping & Responsive Visualisation
Transformation Future Body
Public - Personal Spaces
Dream Consciousness & Reality
Sonic Re-Embodiment/Sonic Disembodiment
Left Brain Navigation
Immersive Spaces
Psychological Architectures & Incorporation Bodies
The Cybernetics of Architecture
Cyberception & Paranature

CONSCIOUSNESS REFRAMED
art  and consciousness in the post-biological era

Paper / Panel / Multimedia/Performance Proposal:

Name

Organisation

Address

Tel
Fax
Email
URL

I plan to attend the First International CAiiA Research Conference,
Consciousness Reframed, on  5-6 July 1997  at the University of Wales College,
Newport

I intend to submit a paper based on the following abstract:

(no more than 250 words)

I intend to propose a panel based on the following description:

(no more than 250 words  plus an indication of possible panelists)

I intend to make a multimedia presentation/performance  as outlined:

(no more than 250 words plus indication of technical requirements)

Return by December 15 via email  to:

Joseph Nechvatal: jnech@imaginet.fr

CAiiA
http://caiiamind.nsad.newport.ac.uk
is a Research Centre of the University of Wales College, Newport, based in the
Newport School of Art and Design, offering  MPhil and PhD research programmes in
the Interactive Arts. Fellows and post-graduate students are based onsite or
online .

Newport School of Art & Design
is located on the Caerleon Campus in a striking new building which has some of
the best Art and Design facilities in Europe including studios, laboratories and
workshops for Film, Animation, Sound, Installation, Photography, Telemedia,
Electronics, Anamatronics,  Multimedia

University of Wales College, Newport
is easily reached by road from the M4, by Rail or Coach (Newport) or by air
(Heathrow  and Gatwick Airports 3hrs drive, Cardiff International Airport
approx. 20 miles). Caerleon Campus, overlooking the ancient village  of Caerleon
in the Vale of Usk, is located in some of the most beautiful and unspoilt
countryside in Britain, from the Wye Valley in the East to the Black Mountains
and Brecon Beacons in the North

Joseph Nechvatal @ Paris
http://www.dom.de/arts/artists/jnech/
http://www.cybertheque.fr/galerie/jnech