fran ilich on Tue, 14 Aug 2001 15:55:11 -0500

Syndicate: border reports.

'Border Reports' will extend the mission of Borderhack 2.0 to 'delete
the border,' by transmitting sound (as audible and radio frequencies)
into the immediate vicinity (Tijuana MX, San Ysidro USA).

We invite you to create a sound recording for this project.

The name 'Border Reports' comes from the AM radio traffic reports in
San Diego that let people know how long it takes to get across the
border.  Drivers have to wait in line and produce passports to cross
the border, but sound itself knows no such barriers.  The USA used
radio for years to transmit the message of capitalism into the
communist bloc; we will use sound frequencies similarly, in order to
mobilize discussion  and understanding of border policies which
criminalize the poor and politically persecuted.

We would like to present your sound recording as part of this
international transmission .  We invite you to produce a 5 minute
(maximum) audio segment to be transmitted on both sides of the border
during the Borderhack encampment on August 24, 25, 25 in Playas
Tijuana.

Segments can take any form including:
Journalistic, conceptual, investigative, political manifestos,
creative appropriation, musical, a shout-out, an interview, a mini-
history, information, news, noise, a poem.

Title your segment:
The title of each segment should start with -
"Border Report,"  and then a number or year or title which might
indicate the content or feeling of your segment.
Examples would be:
"Border Report No.365"  "Border Report No. 366,"
"Border Report Year 2060"
"Border Report 2.2"
"Border Report Berlin 1937"

Segments could consider the US Mexico frontier year 2001, but they
could also present information about other borders past, present and
future.

Where and how to produce the segment?  There are several ways!

Record at Playas de Tijuana:
We will have a station at Playas and recording equipment. Bring your
text or instruments and find us under the Border Reports flag.  Or
come up with a spontaneous interview or sound piece at Playas; there
should be plenty of inspiration at the encampment.

Record at our studio. Please call us at (213) 365-2344 to record with
us. Best days would be Monday August 20 and Tuesday August 21. Or
email us at slewison@hotmail or ncousino@earthlink.net.

Record at your place and deliver the file via mail, or to our house
or mailbox in Los Angeles.  Please email or call for
details/address.   Or bring the recording with you to the Borderhack
emcampment at Playas.  We can take audio cassette, minidisc or CD.

Record at your place, and send the file via email.  Please contact us
for details as to what kind of file we can accept.

Any language is welcome:
english, spanish, sound, music, noise or any other language
transmitted through audiowaves.

duration:
maximum 5 minutes

usable recording formats:
cassette tape, mini-disc, cd

We hope you will participate in this action!  The more, the merrier
(and louder).

For more information, please contact Nicole or Sarah at 213-365-2344,
or ncousino@earthlink, or slewison@hotmail.com.

Border Reports is part of Borderhack.
See http://www.de-lete.tv/borderhack

< DELETE THE BORDER! >

Borderhack is a festival/camp that is part of the "kein mensch ist
illegal" chain of bordercamps. It will take place in Tijuana on
August 24, 25 and
26 of the year 2001. The location of the camp will be in the Playas
de Tijuana part of the city, in front of the actual border fence that
divides the
third and the first world, and also where it penetrates the ocean.
The camp will offer net art, photograph exhibits, border cinema, ISDN
connections, conferences and workshops, not to mention the
participation of the global hacktivist and net-media art community.