Andreas Broeckmann on Fri, 18 May 2001 11:08:27 +0200

Syndicate: Rogue States (working title) - Media Circus Reader

From: nettime-l
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 00:11:16 +1000 (EST)
From: MC Reader <mc-reader@antimedia.net>
Subject: Rogue States (working title) - Media Circus Reader

(please forward on to like-minds)

Hello

We are producing a Reader with a working title 'Rogue States' for the Media
Circus.

The Media Circus is a gathering of people who create, consume, critique and
distribute media content that challenges, questions and expresses our culture,
our society and the way we live. The event happens in Melbourne from the
13th to
15th July, 2001, and will be comprised of screenings, workshops, forums and
exchanges.

Call for content:

This is a call for printable content to be considered for inclusion in the
Reader which will aim to present a snapshot of the state of the international
media circus and provide views and ideas on how we can identify and tackle the
sensorial bombardment, establish mental defence shields and develop our own
media to challenge the established and propagate new stories in our community.

Here are a list of words and phrases which will provide further guidance as to
the nature of content we are calling for: transnational protests and the
alt.media and alt.art machines; counter-culture-corporations and their tricks;
public relations, think-tanks, robot-artists, automatic journalists and
traitor
academics; getting nasty - surveillance and censorship; misrepresentations,
deceptions and lies; new and converged media, hackers, viruses; political
arts,
hip-hop, graffiti, and comedy.

We are especially keen to give space to stories from the invisible - from new
people and people who are outside the outside - from the colonies, the remote
regions and  the developing and 3rd worlds.

So we ask you to go berserk. We do not have much time. Maybe you know of
content
in the public-domain compatible with being re-published in our Reader or maybe
you want to write something fresh. Don't forget images.

Our deadline for content is 15 June 2001.

Here's how you get involved:

If you have content which you feel should be considered for inclusion or have
any queries relating to content - please email
<mc-reader-content@lists.myspinach.org>.

All messages sent to the above address will be sent to the editorial
collective.

If you have any other queries or problems, reply to this email -
mc-reader@antimedia.net

Once printed, Rogue States (working title) will be distributed internationally
to key media activist collectives and cultural organisations. The publication
will be in English however its content will call in to 'copyleft' and we would
welcome repurposing and translations as long as the moral rights of the author
and the publication is respected. It will also be available on da net.

- ------- ----- ---- -- -

Who is behind MediaCircus and the Reader?

There is a small collective of volunteers who are organising MediaCircus
and the
publication of Reader. We are genuinely interested in fostering a strong
progressive and critical media culture and come from various places but are
currently based in Melbourne. Our past and current involvements cover a broad
range of media and cultural practice and activism, including
melbourne.indymedia, S11 protests, National Young Writers Festival, exploring
the sociology of activism, investigating surveillance, organising
screenings and
events, facilitating email lists, and making art content. We are students,
academics, media makers, writers and people wanting to create a more
sustainable
future. Some of us do stuff with SKA TV, Voiceworks, Radio 3CR, Friends of the
Earth and The Paper. Some of our names are Nik Beuret, Marni Cordell, Sam de
Silva, Aizura Hankin, Alex Kelly, Rachel Maher, Lachlan Simpson  and Karen
Eliot.

Media Circus Reader
www.antimedia.net/mediacircus