integer on Fri, 23 Mar 2001 17:44:26 +0100 (CET)

Syndicate: whitney performance : Xtravaganza

From: Jeff D Morey <jm11@nyu.edu>

Hi all,

For those who don't know, I've been working with The Builders
Association for the past year, specifically on video and video
software (nato) programming.  We'll be performing "Xtravaganza"
this coming Monday at Whitney Museum at Philip Morris (42nd St.
loc.) as part of "PULSE: a festival of digitally inspired performance."

would love to see you...

cheers,

jeffm~
Jeff Morey
jm11@is.nyu.edu
roundzero@lycos.com

details ::

The Builders Association
"Xtravaganza"
Monday March 26, 8pm
Whitney Museum at Philip Morris, 120 Park Ave @ 42nd St., New
York

*free*

PRESS RELEASE

On Monday, March 26, 8:00pm, the OBIE Award-winning media
and performance ensemble The Builders Association will perform
excerpts from their latest production, "Xtravaganza," which
reinterprets mid-nineteenth and early twentieth century theatrical
variety shows through the lens of today's DJ and VJ culture.  The
event kicks off 'Performance on 42nd's' spring series, "PULSE: a
festival of digitally inspired performance."  this four-part series
features new works in which artists intertwine diverse forms of
digital media with live performance and is presented in
conjunction with the exhibition "Bitstreams," on view at the main
Whitney Museum of American Art from March 22 - June 10, 2001.

The Performance will take place at the Whitney Museum at Philip
Morris, 120 Park Ave. at 42nd Street, located directly across from
Grand Central Station.  Admission is free.  No reservations
accepted; seating is first-come, first-served.  for more information,
please call 917-663-2453.

Using current tools to interpret old forms, "Xtravaganza" draws on
historical types of theatrical entertainment that mixed live
performance with music, dance, and film to create visually
spectacular events.  Such productions or "extravaganzas" date
back more than hundred years and can be understood as
important precursors to what we now call "multimedia"
performance.  Sampling fragments from the epic pageants staged
by Steels MacKaye, the technical wizardry of Loie Fuller, the lavish
stagescapes of Florenz Ziegfield, and the films of Busby Berkeley,
The Builders Association reformulates these early events into a
contemporary blend of video, dance, music and text...

                                          pre.konssept!?
                                                meeTz ver!f1kat!?.

-

Netochka Nezvanova     - i dont like utilizing 01 komputer in publik.
f3.MASCHIN3NKUNST
@www.eusocial.com
17.hzV.tRL.478