Syndicate admin on Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:16:02 +0100 (CET)

Syndicate: Briefing 21.03.2001

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 21:42:30 -0800
Subject: Briefing 21.03.2001

"EURO-BALKAN" INSTITUTE ON MACEDONIAN CRISIS

21-03-2001

CONTENTS:

Daily briefing from Macedonian press about Macedonian crisis

Daily briefing from international press about Macedonian crisis

Supplement: The yesterday signed joint declaration of the parliamentary parties
of Albanians in Macedonia

DAILY BRIEFING FROM MACEDONIAN PRESS ABOUT MACEDONIAN CRISIS

 Intense offensive of the Macedonian security
 forces

 </bold>Yesterday at 4:00 p.m., an intense artillery
 crossfire from various caliber types was poured
 over the terrorists positions on the hillsides
 of Shar Planina, in the region of the Old Tetovo
 Fortress, Drenoec, Poroj, Germo, Selce, Lavce
 and the municipality Baltepe. The Macedonian
 artillery acted from several positions in Gorni
 Polog. The terrorists answered with weak fire
 from machine guns. The Macedonian soldiers and
 policemen were still at their positions
 yesterday in the late afternoon hours in the
 announced clearing of the terrain, expecting the
 artillery preparation for the final operation to
 end. <bold>(=93Dnevnik=94)</bold>

 <bold>Press-conference of the Ministries of Defense
 and Internal Affairs

 </bold>A short machine gun fire was opened yesterday at
 the military watchtower =93Goshince=94 at the
 Macedonian-Yugoslav border at the part towards
 Kosovo. The Macedonian border patrol responded
 immediately to the provocation directed from the
 side of Kosovo, stated the spokesman of the
 Ministry of Defense, Gjorgji Trendafilov.

 The Deputy Information Minister in The Ministry
 of Internal Affairs, Stevo Pendarovski, stated
 yesterday that the armed conflict between the
 Albanian terrorists and the Macedonian security
 forces in Tetovo, from day to day decrease in
 intensity. It is assumed that this is a result
 of the successful action to break the terrorist
 hideouts in Beltepe conducted by the Macedonian
 security forces in the past two days.
 <bold>(=93Dnevnik=94)</bold>

 <bold>Ultimatum: The security forces appeal the
 extremists to put down arms

 </bold>The Macedonian security forces sent a clear
 message to the terrorists in the region of
 Tetovo, but also to all others trying to harm
 the integrity and sovereignty of our country,
 that they would answer without compromise and
 strongly with all available forces. In order to
 avoid unnecessary civil casualties and loss of
 lives of innocent citizens who are held as
 hostages by the terrorists, the Macedonian
 security structures set an ultimatum to them to
 put down arms and to surrender to the competent
 authorities or to leave the territory of
 Macedonia. In accordance with this, in the
 period from 21.03.2001, 0:00 a.m. until
 22.03.2001, 0:00 a.m., the members of the
 Macedonian security forces will restrain from
 fire over the terrorists=92 positions, except in
 case of attack from the counter side. <bold>(=93Utrinski
 Vesnik=94)

 Javier Solana - European Union foreign policy
 chief in Skopje: =93There will be no negotiation
 with the terrorists=94

 </bold>EU supports the territorial integrity and
 security of Macedonia and convicts all kinds of
 violence. No negotiations whatsoever should be
 undertaken with the terrorists, and the violence
 will not affect the foreseen signing of the
 Stability and Association Agreement with the EU
 on 9th April. Solana refused all possibilities
 for pressure from the side of the EU to be made
 for the change of the Macedonian Constitution
 after the end of the crisis. =93There were enough
 elections in this country and enough activities,
 and if it was necessary, the Constitution would
 already have been changed. We have no intention
 to insist on change because the Constitution is
 democratic=94, stated Solana. <bold>(=93Dnevnik=94)

 Common declaration of the parliament parties of
 the Albanians in Macedonia

 </bold>The leaders of the Albanian political parties in
 the Macedonian Parliament, DPA (Democratic Party
 of the Albanians) and PDP (Party for Democratic
 Prosperity)- Arben Xhaferi and Imer Imeri, met
 yesterday with the European Union foreign policy
 chief, Javier Solana where a common declaration
 was signed in which it is stated =93they stand
 united for peace=94 and call the armed groups
 acting on the territory of Macedonia to put down
 arms and peacefully withdraw to their homes. In
 the declaration, they call the Government to
 hurry up with the reforms that it has set for
 previously, and they ask the EU to support their
 implementation. <bold>(=93MIA=94)

 Skopje: Conference of the Southeast European
 Parliaments

 </bold>On the conference, the presidents of parliament
 of the countries from the Process for
 Cooperation in Southeastern Europe condemned the
 violence of the extremists and supported
 Macedonia=92s steps for eliminating the crisis.

 The Macedonian President, Boris Trajkovski,
 addressed the participants: =93The country at this
 moment is being confronted with extremely brutal
 violence and terrorist acts of the Albanian
 extremists. There will be no negotiation with
 terrorism and elements of ethnic hatred directed
 at our endeavors and efforts to build a healthy
 multi-ethnic society. We are strong and
 determined enough to stand up against terrorism.
 <bold>(=93Dnevnik=94)

 DPA on the situation in Tetovo </bold>
 Arben Xhaferi and Menduh Thaci organized a press
 conference and presented the party standings
 regarding the latest situation. =93We presented
 our standings to Javier Solana, stressing that
 the crisis has a local origin, not from abroad
 as some claim,=94 Xhaferi declared.
 =93We requested from Solana the opening of a
 quality dialogue in order to
 solve the problems. We signed an agreement
 (together with PDP), requesting a peaceful way
 out of the crisis, through democratic means and
 a dialogue. We made our remarks regarding to
 extensive use of force, as many private houses
 were destroyed and the situation is only going
 for worse. We are not satisfied with the present
 relations in the Government and we demand a
 bigger participation in the process of
 establishing peace. We are outraged by the
 uncontrolled use of force against the population
 and we demand to stop the violence. We are not
 leaving the Government, but we want to be equal
 on vital issue that the Government is deciding
 upon. We must certainly avoid the Yugoslav model
 of using violence,=94 Xhaferi stated. <bold>("FAKTI"-
 Albanian language daily)</bold>

 <bold>Massive mobilization in Kosovo

 </bold>The Ministry of Internal Affairs has information
 that efforts for mobilization from the other
 side are noticed, especially in the inhabited
 areas along the border. The Ministry of Internal
 Affairs doesn=92t disclose any details concerning
 the frequency of the mobilization. The Ministry
 of Internal Affairs spokesman, Stevo Pendarovski
 said that except for certain unofficial
 information on the forced mobilization as tax in
 blood, one male person from each Albanian family
 in the Lipkovo region, the Ministry of Internal
 Affairs has no other information for other parts
 of Macedonia. <bold>(=93Vest=94)

 Sniper fire and bomb directed at the journalists
 of the Macedonian State Television and A1
 Television

 </bold>The terrorists in Tetovo started to attack
 journalists as well, it was said in yesterday=92s
 report of the Macedonian State Television
 reporters. The journalist teams from the
 Macedonian State Television and A1 Television
 were shot at from sniper weapon by an armed
 group settled in the vicinity of the city center
 and later, form other positions as well.

 The terrorist groups previously threw a bomb at
 the point where the Macedonian State Television
 journalist team was recording a statement of the
 State Secretary of Internal Affairs, Ljube
 Boshkovski. <bold>(=93Nova Makedonija=94)</bold>

 <bold><underline>b)DAILY BRIEFING FROM INTERNATIONAL PRESS ABOUT
 MACEDONIAN CRISIS

 </underline>Peacekeeping forces out of question
 </bold>US State Department spokesman Richard Boucher
 said the US was exploring ways that Nato could
 give more support to the Macedonian Government
 without committing soldiers of its own.
 Involving any of the region's peacekeeping
 forces directly in fighting the Albanian rebels
 was out of the question for now. <bold>(Excerpts from
 {HYPERLINK "http://nytimes.com";<FontFamily><param>Times
 New Roman</param>}=
 New</param>=
 New York
 EU foreig=
 n ministers'
 meeting in Brussels, the German foreign minister
 Fischer rejected a call by Austria that UN
 Security Council Resolution 1244 should be
 extended to allow NATO's KFOR operating in
 Macedonia.<bold> (Excerpts from The
 Scotsman)</bold><FontFamily><param>Tim=
 es New Roman</param>

 <bold><FontFamily><param>Courier New</param>Nato pleas
 for more troops in =
 Balkans ignored

 </bold>Not a single Nato government has responded to
 urgent requests from their hard-pressed military
 commanders in Kosovo for reinforcements to help
 deal with ethnic Albanian extremists
 infiltrating neighboring Macedonia, Nato sources
 disclosed last night. <bold>(Excerpts from The
 Guardian)</bold>

 <bold>Terrorists stems from NATO's deadly sin

 </bold>The UN Security Council opened debate on a
 French-backed resolution condemning the
 guerrillas. Russia labeled "armed groups of
 ethnic Albanians" as engaging in "terrorist
 activities". <bold>(Excerpts from BBC)</bold> Albanian
 guerrillas were described by Robin Cook, the
 foreign secretary, as terrorists.<bold>(Excerpts from
 Guardian)</bold>The situation in FYROM is the result of
 NATO's =93deadly sin=94, i.e. its policy in Kosovo
 where it encouraged the Albanians' secessionist
 tendencies, according to Greece's former Foreign
 Minister Pangalos.<bold>(Excerpts from MPA)</bold>

Britain will train Macedonia for guerilla war

Macedonian army is unprepared to fight a guerrilla war, said Ivo Daalder, a
former U.S. National Security Council aide and now a fellow at the Brookings
Institution in Washington."It is highly improbable that just by deploying a lot
of tanks and a lot of howitzers that they will be able to defeat a committed
guerrilla force." said Edward Luttwak, a military expert affiliated with the
Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington."You can't send
units that contain 35% or 40% Albanians against Albanian insurgents," Luttwak
said. (Excerpts from The Times)

Britain has announced that it is sending two additional military advisers to
Skopje to assist the Macedonian Ministry of Defense and to provide wide-ranging
advice, drawing upon their Northern Ireland experience to help with
counter-insurgency operations if required. (Excerpts from BBC)

The nub of the problem is delaying the self-rule of Kosovo

KFOR and NATO must work closely with the Macedonia government to interdict the
flow of arms and fighters across the border, said Wesley Clark, Retired General
and former supreme allied commander in Europe. The use of force will only worsen
the underlying problem, a discussion of the constitutional status of Macedonian
 Albanians should begin without delay. Kosovo's new leaders, must know that NATO
will not step in again to protect them from the consequences of their own
extremist actions. Renewed conflict will postpone, the day when they can take
full charge of their own affairs. The nub of the problem is the continuing delay
in moving the province toward democratic self-rule. Kosovo's leaders must
understand that Albanians have nothing to gain -- and everything to lose -- by
exporting or inflaming conflict in the Balkans. (Excerpts from Washington Post)

Macedonia and Kosovo both lose

The exchange of goods and services between Macedonia and Kosova in 2000 amounted
to 160 to 170 million US dollars, according to the Macedonian Institute for
Statistics, the Macedonia Head of Customs and Kosova's Chamber of Commerce.The
closing of the Kosova-Macedonia border has caused big loses to the daily Kosovar
budget of from 600,000 to 800,000 DEM. Macedonia has also suffered loses,
sources from Kosova's Chamber of Commerce told.(Excerpts from  KosovaLive)

Solana doesn't recommend negotiation

"We are determined to realize our demands, and urge Macedonian authorities and
non-government figures to make public as soon as possible if they want this to
be resolved peacefully or not," the rebels said in a communiqu=E9. If talks are
rejected, "we will bear no responsibility for the future chain of events," said
the statement, signed by the "National Liberation Army - Tetovo branch."
<bold>(Excerpts from Associated Press)</bold>"Nothing, and I mean nothing, will
be obtained by violent means," The European Union's security affairs chief
Javier Solana told reporters during an official visit to Skopje."It is a mistake
to negotiate with the terrorists, and we do not recommend it." <bold>(Excerpts
from The Times)

UNHCR Briefing Notes

Over the past six days, more than 2,300 ethnic Albanians have crossed the border
to Albania - a tenfold increase from the usual number of crossings, according to
Albanian authorities. Nearly half of them merely transited Albanian territory
and entered Kosovo. Some 1,400 people, predominantly ethnic Albanians but also
 Macedonian Slavs, have crossed from Macedonia to southern Serbia in buses and
private vehicles. There has also been a movement of people within Macedonia. The
International Federation of the Red Cross and the Red Crescent has registered a
total of 3,700 people internally displaced within Macedonia.

US groups send arms to rebels

Albanian-Americans are contributing recruits, money and weapons to the rebellion
in Macedonia. The rebel National Liberation Army (NLA) published advertisements
in US Albanian-language newspapers calling for volunteers and donations, and
held recruitment campaigns at the weekend."About 20 people have gone already,
and hundreds will go, more than went to Kosovo perhaps." said Dervish Jahjaga,
editor of Bota Sot, an Albanian-language newspaper in New York.The New York
Times reported that the NLA had succeeded in raising $500,000 in donations from
Albanian-Americans.
(Excerpts from Guardian)

Q: There is a news reports on the activity of the Albanian community in the USA,
both financially and as far as volunteers are concerning going to Macedonia to
fight on the Albanian side. Would you comment on that?

Mr. Boucher: I don't really have any knowledge of that or any information. ..

Q: If you have an proof of that, will you apply the Anti-Terror Act to the=
Albanians getting money here and sending it there?

Mr. Boucher: That depends on the whole lot of things

(Excerpts from State Department Briefing)

c) SUPPLEMENT: THE DECLARATION OF THE ALBANIAN PARLIAMENTARY PARTIES IN
MACEDONIA

"We appeal to the groups that took arms in their hands on the
territory of our country, to put down the arms and to peacefully return to their
homes. We condemn the use of violence for the purpose of achieving political
goals. There can be no place for it in a democratic state. It makes political
dialogue  impossible. It blocks the road to Europe that we, as citizens of
Macedonia  and as Albanians, have chosen. It can be tragic for us as Macedonian
citizens and or the whole region.

We believe that once the situation will be calm again, a new dialogue and a more
productive one will be established among all political factors in Macedonia. We
appeal to the Government to increase the intensity of those reforms that concern
the inter-ethnic relations, and which it has decided to follow a long time ago,
and we appeal to the European Union to help the implementation. Important
questions are left open. But, we refuse to believe that we, the citizens of this
country =96 Macedonians and Albanians =96 are forced to choose between solutions
that make only one side satisfied, or, represent a threat for the other. If the
old ideas did not give solutions acceptable for all, then we all have to seek
for new ones. But, this cannot be achieved until we have a more relaxed
atmosphere."