darko fritz on Fri, 02 Mar 2001 18:05:59 +0100

Syndicate: FW: DEMAND FOR NEW SELECTION OF VIDEONALE 9

----------
From: "Handy Capt. Theatre" <handycapt@yahoo.com>
To: info@videonale.org
Subject: DEMAND FOR NEW SELECTION OF VIDEONALE 9
Date: Fri, Mar 2, 2001, 13:44

DEMAND FOR NEW SELECTION OF VIDEONALE 9

I have been informed that:
"The Videonale 9 [Bonn, D] selection jury consisting
of five members announce that they made selection of
more than 1500 entries of video and internet artworks
in six days, working in two groups."

I (too) found that is physically impossible, and would
like this to be reconsidered, and also to make the
following comments:

Simply it is not possible to seriously value that
ammount of work in that way. Yes, a work has to be
considered as whole. When viewing fragments one may
have a notion of what is going on, but can't pass that
notion as serious estetic/semiotic/artistic judgement.

Valutation IS a complex process, but it is not only in
the world of mass media. There have always been
dominant systems, mutations and misinterpretations,
personal and economic interests and balancing
valutation has never been simple. But that only means
it has to be done responsibly, and the mere minimum of
responsibility is viewing work in its entirety.

As far as the auto-didact comparison used, apparently,
by Mr. S?ren Grammel ( auto-didact is a character from
Nausea) it is quite the opposite that this metaphore
conveys to me. The mistake of auto-didact, in my
opinion, is not of the order but lack of perspective.
And perspective is something we too easily forget.
There are many ways of losing it, the auto-didact type
confusion is more medieval where he loses himself in
details and facts, losing centre and  a sense of
logical coordination. Then there is the baroque loss
off perspective applicable to postmodernism, where
there are so many points of view intertwined that we
forget that there still ARE points of view and
vanishing points to consider.

So if we want to avoid the auto-didact effect it
appears to me necessary to consider the works as whole
to preserve perspective, and to be very careful about
one's semantics/estetics in valutation.

Role of perspective is equaly important in time as in
space.

Thank you for your attention.
Olja Petrovic, Handy Capt. Theatre