AIC 99 on Wed, 4 Oct 2000 21:05:57 -0400 (EDT)

Re: Syndicate: what is happening in serbia?

here are some news that i've gotten through other lists
btw.. i get news from serbia at least once daily, so if people are
interested i will be more than happy to fwd reports, i would just rather
not fwd to the entire list unless everyone wishes so.
--aic

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 00:20:13 +0200
From: Ratibor Trivunac <rata@beotel.yu>
Subject: <alter-ee> General Strike in Serbia day 3! (4th October)

    Dear friends,
    News from Serbia. Every day more and more people are organizing in
General Strike. Milosevic regime is enforcing new represion messures,
again, for us that is sign that he is weekening with every day of our
protest. The Strike is taking a new form. Now not only that all the cities
in Serbia are blocked, and that there is a great walk organised through
Belgrade, but now local communities in Belgrade organize in their parts of
the city after walk through Belgrade, and are blocading streets in their
districts. Today, again, we blocked city and university. We walked through
biggest streets in Belgrade, and to the New Belgrade (New part of the
city) in which we visited Student City (part of the town where sutdents
from small cities who are studing in Belgrade are living). People from all
over the town greeted us, and showed us their support.
    Miners that are striking or 4 days now, got ultimatum by the police
that if they don't stop striking by 16h p.m. police will start forcing
them, but huge number of people (100.000) from all over Serbia went to
those mines when they heard that report, and  now strike is still going on
in mines. Urgent situation papered at University of Belgrade. Four Deans
were change, among them Philosophical university den. The man who is now a
new dean is well known fascist professor from the university. We are not
going to give out the university this easy! Blockade of university was
announced by students. Now still there are some people in side university
blocking it.
    For tomorrow the  greatest strike is planned in Belgrade. People
from all over Serbia are coming there. It is planned that we will enter
media houses tomorrow. Most of us think that tomorrow is the day of
decision.
    We, anarchist, made contact with organization of protest, we
connected them with independent unions and now we are together with them
trying to organize this strike as good as we can.

I'm sorry because this message is this short. But now I'm going back to
university and I don't have much time for writting mails.

Anarcho-syndicalist greet!

Rata