Marina Grzinic on Tue, 15 Aug 2000 08:48:11 +0200

Syndicate: Grzinic FWD:Review of The Robot in the Garden - Rhizom

Dear Syndalists,

Here is the review of the Robot in the Garden (MIT PRESS,
2000) edited by Ken Goldberg.

Have a look!

Rhizome is the primary site for dialogue on net art:Review of
"The Robot in the Garden" by Eugene Thacker (eugenethacker@HOTMAIL.COM)8.7.2000http://rhizome.org/object.rhiz?1811One
of the common dissatisfactions with interactivity on the Web isthat
telepresence is not, well, presence. Certainly some of the moreinteresting
new media projects have deconstructed our assumptionsconcerning presence and
the sense of "really" being there. But, whenit comes down to it,
we are faced with the experience that you and Iin our separate
computer-hovels chatting over CU-SeeMe, is not thesame as you and I having
drinks in a cozy bar. This difference hasprompted talk of a qualitative
difference between two essentiallydifferent modes of communication and
interaction, each contingent upona variety of factors (technology, class,
cultural difference, race,geography, language, etc.). The "noise"
that often comes through isnot just technical, but can also be
social.Part of the problem of computer-mediated communication has to do
withthe status of the body in the interaction--or rather, the state
of"embodiment." We all want our communication and interactions to
be astransparent as possible, and there is a sense in which
physicalpresence plays an important part in giving us that feeling
ofauthenticity, of transparency. But how do we address the importance
ofembodiment when dealing with technologies such as the Web?This is
one of the main questions in Ken Goldberg's new anthology,"The Robot in
the Garden: Telerobotics and Telepistemology in the Ageof the Internet"
(MIT Press, 2000) Using the term "telepistemology" totalk about
how knowledge is transmitted, produced, and circulated onthe net, Goldberg
has assembled a collection of different perspectiveson tele- robotics, as
both a technological and a culturalissue. Roughly divided into three
sections (the philosophy oftelepistemology, tele-robotic art, and the
engineering oftele-robotics), "The Robot in the Garden" covers a
wide range ofmaterial, from Thomas Campanella's essay on webcams, to Martin
Jay'sessay on time-delay and light-speed, to art- based
"dialogicaltelepresence" (Eduardo Kac's term), to the engineering
oftele-robotics interfaces in the essay by Michael Idinopulos. Eachpiece
brings up, from its own perspective, the issue of how theintersection of
communication and control can produce forms ofknowledge, agency,
authenticity, and meaningful interaction.While the various essays are
interesting on their own, "The Robot inthe Garden" is strongest
when essays are linked together. Forinstance, philosopher Hubert Dreyfus'
accounts of phenomenologicalapproaches to cognition (opposed to Descartes'
classical dividebetween mind and body) forms a strong foundation for John
Canny andEric Paulos' essay on the design of unique,
"tele-embodied" systemsfor human-to-human tele- robotic
interaction. Similarly, artist andcritic Marina Grzinic's elaboration of
net-based time-delay andBenjamin's notion of "aura" forms an
interesting dialogue to AlbertBorgmann's sharp distinctions between
"promixal" or real space and"mediated"
space.Blake Hannaford's history of telerobotics is perhaps the
mostfascinating piece in the collection. It supplements the
book'sphilosophical reflections with hard, technical details.
Hannaford'sdiscussion of tele-robotics research in terms of energetics
transfer,time-delay, degree of control, and system stability takes
oninteresting resonances when considered in political terms.
LevManovich's essay is similar, especially when he discusses
telepresencenot as image- deception but as "acting over distance. In
real time."For Manovich, telepresence is actually about the negation of
presence,or better, the banalization of presence: "the essence of
telepresenceis that it is antipresence. I don't have to be physically
present in alocation to affect reality at this
location."Although "The Robot in the Garden" does not
contain texts on specificreal-world uses of tele-robotic technology (for
instance, the MarsSojourner, hazardous waste sites, deep-sea excavation, or
tele-roboticsurgery; most of the examples come from art), it does
provideimportant epistemological questions for understanding this
latestaddition to Web technology, showing how the cultural and
thetechnological are both implicated in the ambiguities
surroundingcomputer-mediated
communication.