anna balint on Thu, 27 Jul 2000 23:07:04 +0200

Syndicate: IN THE FLOW back at www.franklinfurnace.org

Apologies for any double postings.

July 25, 2000
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

IN THE FLOW back at www.franklinfurnace.org!

In November 1996 Franklin Furnace advanced its commitment to the history of
the future with our final gallery exhibition, "In The Flow: Alternate
Authoring Strategies."  In that show we traced some of the artistic threads
which already treated art work as flowing information rather than as
property.  The effects of the fruition of digital media on our perception
of content and ultimately upon the nature of individuality and personhood
were seen to be predicated by trends already existing within the culture of
art.  Thus, practice by artists who had used strategies since the seventies
and eighties that contradict the notion of a single personal vision such as
Sol Lewit, Louise Lawler, Group Material, Guerilla Girls, Frank Gillette,
International Mail Art and Sylvia Benitez were shown together with artists
whose new strategies were more specifically responsive to developments in
the early and mid-nineties including the X-art foundation, The Thing,
Beattie and Davidson, Laura Parnes, Ben Kinmont, Gabriel Martinez, Robbin
Silverberg, and the unknown artist.  Conceptual and collaborative art
dealing with issues of dematerialization of the object, appropriation, and
group participation were seen by Daniel Georges, the organizer of the
exhibition, to be linked to more recent issues of interaction, non-linear
narrative, de-centralization of the self, and equalizing of genres in a
single digital medium.

In keeping with the exhibition focus, the catalogue for "In The Flow" was
created as an on-line feature of the newly launched Franklin Furnace web
site.  After a two year hiatus, in which the catalogue has been off-line,
we are happy to announce the re-posting of the up-dated "In The Flow" web
site at its original url - www.franklinfurnace.org/flow.

Click http://www.franklinfurnace.org/links03.html
to visit 'This Month's World Wide Events'.

----------------------------------
Franklin Furnace Archive, Inc.
45 John Street, #611
New York, NY 10038-3706