JSalloum on Thu, 17 Feb 2000 13:38:36 EST

Syndicate: Antidote 5

>Says Saman:
>"The genocides
>and atrocities of europe in the 30s and 40s are
>not about to happen here in Canada."
>But the reality of strong conservative solutions is not so backdated in
>Italy.

In fact here on the west coast of Canada, in the midst of a supposed social
democracy we have a proto neo-fascist police force clamping down on the
latino/a community, scape goating them for the drug and prostitution ills
(vancouver now known as the "bangkok of north america" due to the expansive
child prostitution), police surveillance cameras being placed all over our
community, the poorest in Canada increasing the sense of forced encirclement.
 As well we now have (for the first time since the second world war - where
Japanese-Canadians were imprisoned, losing all of possessions and property)
our second series of 'concentration camps', this time for refugees fleeing
the Fujian province of China, they are given no rights and their human rights
are routinely violated, thrown into small isolation cells for trying to
express themselves to the guards who understand none of their language.  The
colonial politics continue here and the canadian-european citizens are
becoming more vocal in their imperial racist statements (where once we they
very good at repressing this), this paired with arch-conservatives of all
types and colours, purchasing their rights to be canadian over-top of
refugees fleeing their lives.  Of course all of this takes place while the
even court recognized rights of the First Nations are trampled upon as
throughout out history and the environment gets continually trashed...

best wishes,
jayce