Verdejost on Fri, 11 Feb 2000 16:18:57 EST

Syndicate: Re: easy labels

Mihajlo  Acimovic wrote to me, I am uncertain on or off Syndicate list, and I
hope if off he doesn't mind the following quotation:

<< Now about FPOe. I am a person who uses easy labels, but I don`t think
nazism is something which had happend once upon a time in Germany. I also
don`t think that a social system has to use the crooked cross symbol or
completely repeat the social paterns of Germany in the 1930s and 40s, to be
called nazism. In my views, Haider is a nazi and I have called him so on
syndicate. >>

My problem with easy labels is multiple:  I know lots of people who toss
around the words nazi, fascist, commie, red, and other such things, mainly at
people they don't agree with.  The label is considered sufficient argument
and evidence to convict, and in the company that those who use these labels
have, usually the epithet will do.  It eliminates the difficulty of thinking
or describing what you mean.  "Nazi," historically, describes a specific
historical phenomenon, one of the uglier of recent times (in my opinion).  It
involved racism, ideas of how to organise society, was probably peculiarly
Germanic, was in general a mirror of similar cultures which (in my view) were
still suffering the convulsions of the shift from agrarian to industrial
societies, and which tended for a period to set themselves up in rigid
authoritarian manners (Soviet Union, China, Fascist Italy, other smaller
places going with the historical flow).  It involved the societal practice of
setting up the entire machinery of the concentration camps and other such
things.  To call Haider a Nazi implies not only the possible wish to
replicate this, but also the historical possibility to do so.  I think it is
most unlikely that such could occur, and in calling Haider (or others) Nazis,
Fascists, etc., simultaneously trivializes the historical reality of real
Nazism, and paranoidly suggests that a small-timer like Haider, could, in his
own times, replicate the reality of his fellow Austrian, Mr. Schickelgruber,
of Linz, who perhaps might have been perceived as a small timer himself,
but....  But history is different, and Haider is not going to vault Austria
into a world war, set up extermination camps, etc., and to suggest a parallel
is to err heavily.  Haider may be an ugly racist, populist demagogue, etc.,
but he is no Hitler and even if he were, this is not 1920.

Ditto for similar slinging of words like Fascist, Commie, Pinko, Red, etc.
This is an easy out, a way to circumvent serious thought and insert slogans
and knee-jerk responses instead.  Lorenzo was right - there ought to be a way
to use, in our time, intelligent means to counter negative political trends.
He was wrong in using the easy "Nazi" label along the way.  The world is full
of absolutely terrible problems that need to be confronted and resolved.
Using dead historical epithets won't in any way do it.  It will only make
those using the epithets feel a little good about themselves, rouse the
similar minded to repeat it, and leave history untouched.

The world is undergoing very major changes.  Among them are immigration
induced by economic pressures, and in many parts of the world this is making
for big political stresses - witness about anywhere in Europe, or the US (or
Canada or...).  I drive my child to school each day here in Rome.  At five or
six intersections along the way in the rush hour I and all other drivers are
assaulted by windshield washers, paper peddlars, and others from straight out
sign-in-hand beggars to those offering tissue paper and lighters.  These days
they appear mostly to be from Bangladesh and similar geographies (five years
ago they were from Poland or Russia).  The same is repeated in nearly every
european city on some level or another.  It is part of "globalization" though
not a part quite planned for in Davos.  (Though I am rather certain the
attendants of Davos have their "philipinos" etc. and should have quite first
hand understanding of it).

The current pressures about immigration have a hell of a lot to do with Mr
Haider, as well as numerous others in europe.  It is not an insignificant
issue, and will only increase.  Saying so and so is a fascist/nazi etc. will
not resolve the matter.  Haider, Fine, Le Pen and others are only present
because they represent the views of a meaningful number of their compatriots
regarding such things as immigration, social change, and so on.  The problem
is in the human psyche, in adjusting to rapid changes in society, in managing
those changes.  Leaning on old labels, models from another historical
situation simply doesn't do what needs to be done.

I'm tired and signing off.

jon
Roma