Patrick Lichty on Mon, 10 Jan 2000 15:01:42 -0500

Syndicate: Call for Works

Call for Virtual Entries and Critical
Texts
"Through the Looking Glass"
Digital Creativity at the Turn of the Millennium
Beachwood Center for the Arts, Beachwood, Ohio
April 15-30, 2000
Patrick Lichty, Curator

Statement:
Advances in digital technology are calling into question a panoply of
issues, some of which include the ways such technology alters the role of
the arts in culture in methods of production and propagation of ideas
throughout culture, and the way institutions represent the digital
arts.  Through the Looking Glass is an exhibition that will
survey digital art forms (video, net, print, installation, etc.) to
examine critical issues in digital art, and to explore the ways in which
these aesthetic practices engage with the audience.

We are especially interested in works from artists located in the Pacific
Rim, Asia, South/Latin America, India, Eastern Europe, the CIS, and
Africa.

Call for net.entries:
We are looking for Net-based and CD-ROM works which offer unique
perspectives on the use of the digital medium as art form, as well as
works that examine critical issues relating to technology's effects on
society, identity, and perception.

Currently, our physical gallery space is almost full, but physical
artists are welcome to apply.

Call for Essays/Texts:
Also planned for this exhibition is a section dedicated to critical texts
examining the effects of technology on artistic practice, the
gallery/museum, and the role of the audience.  These criteria
intentionally offer a wide range of subjects, and all submission are
welcome.  The purpose of the entire exhibition is to present a
diverse array of viewpoints in contemporary technological art practice,
therefore we welcome all submissions that fit within our criteria.

Deadlines:
Acceptance:
January 31,2000 (postmark date)
Notification of acceptance: