backup office on Sun, 10 Aug 2003 01:54:02 +0200 (CEST)

[rohrpost] backup deadlines extended

+++ONLY 7 DAYS LEFT: CALL FOR ENTRIES+++

+++DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES IS AUGUST 15, 2003 (POSTMARK)+++

+++PLEASE FORWARD THIS MAIL+++

+++THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!+++

Dear Filmmakers, Organizers, Producers and Friends,

As a result of many current inquiries, the submission deadlines for all areas of the backup-festival have been extended from July 31 to August 15. We are also very sorry not only for the downtime of our website from the 29th to the 30th of July, but also for the short submission period this year. Furthermore, we would like to inform you that this deadline extension comes together with the first phase of a website relaunch.

»backup_festival. new media in film« invites you to the next edition for the
year 2003. Once again Weimar will be, from October 30 to November 2, 2003,
meeting place for national and international film and media artists.

backup is a festival for film and video productions developed using digital
means - a stock-taking in the realm of new media.
The deadline for entries is August 15, 2003.

The call for entries takes place internationally at film
and art universities, art academies, technical colleges, universities, film
and media agenturs and film clubs, as well as at cultural and educational
centers and via internet at www.backup-festival.com .
Additionally, all of the above is available in PDF format, which can be
downloaded and printed, also as an attachment of this Email.

This year there are three interesting sections again: the
international »backup.loungelab«.

At the heart of the festival is the »backup.award« with its screen
presentation of works of film departing from the traditional paths
of analog cinema. We are interested in shorts which
are no longer than 15 minutes and not older than two years. In the
foreground: the use and influence of new media.
Prizes will be awarded with a total value of 4,500 Euro.

The »backup.clipaward« is a national award for music videos that use new
media as a creative playground for audiovisual works. The clips should also
not be older than two years. Prizes will be awarded with a total value of
3,000 Euro.

And we have an international call for entries for the »backup.lounge|lab«.
This announcement is directed at creative types in all disciplines. Together
with a workshop leader, the invited participants will put a continual
recontextualization of the spatial structures into motion during a 10-day
laboratory phase. This process will be continued through the four days of
the backup 2003 and should enable the festival guests to be
equally-empowered actors. Testing Truth - XOR - The metaphoric quality of
binary code forms the thematic starting point of this
year's »backup.lounge|lab«. Awards and honorariums will not be granted.

We will be glad to receive your entries and we will be pleased if you offer
the information to interested filmmakers.

Best regards,
Juliane Fuchs

backup_festival
c/o Bauhaus-Universität Weimar
Fakultät Medien
Bauhausstrasse 11
99421 Weimar
Germany

tel +49 (0) 36 43 / 49 46 136
fax +49 (0) 36 43 / 58 37 01
funk +49 (0) 171 / 42 85 044

www.backup-festival.de
office@backup-festival.de
weimar | 30.10.-02.11. 2003

in Kooperation mit / in Cooperation with:
Bauhaus-Universität Weimar
Fakultät Medien

gefördert durch / funded by:
MDM - Mitteldeutsche Medienförderung
Thüringer Kultusministerium
Kulturstiftung des Bundes
Stiftung Kulturfonds
Sparkassen-Kulturstiftung Hessen-Thüringen
Sparkassenstiftung Weimar - Weimarer Land
Studierendenkonvent BU Weimar
Studentenwerk Jena / Weimar
Thüringer Ministerium für Wissenschaft, Forschung und Kunst
LAG Soziokultur Thüringen
Goethe-Institut Weimar
Radeberger Brauerei GmbH
Anders + Kern