Volker Grassmuck on Thu, 14 Mar 2002 00:57:17 +0100 (CET)

[rohrpost] (Fwd) Zensur: "Australia - Global Village Idiot"

From:           	"Erich M" <depesche@quintessenz.at>
To:             	quintessenz-list@quintessenz.at
Date sent:      	Wed, 13 Mar 2002 22:36:32 +0100
Subject:        	Zensur: "Australia - Global Village Idiot"
Send reply to:  	harkank@quintessenz.org

q/depesche  02.3.13/1

Zensur: "Australia - Global Village Idiot"

"Das Internet ist kein Film, kein Computerspiel und auch nicht so etwas wie
Fernsehen" sagte Irene Graham von Electronic Frontiers Australia aus
gegebenem Anlass zum wiederholten Mal. Als das Zensurgesetz
"Broadcasting Services Amendment Bill", das Sendeschluss und Programme
für Erwachsene auch im Internet regeln soll, 1999 verabschiedet worden war,
gab es Demonstrationen in verschiedenen Städten in AU unter dem Motto
"Australia - Global Village Idiot"

http://www.quintessenz.at/archiv/msg00696.html

-.-. --.-  -.-. --.-  -.-. --.-  -.-. --.-  -.-. --.-  -.-. --.-
"NSW plans to censor the internet have been under scrutiny during two days
of public hearings in Sydney.

"The Standing Committee on Social Issues is inquiring into whether the
Classification Enforcement Amendment Bill provides an effective and
enforceable way to regulate online material.

"But a number of industry and consumer groups warned that the proposed
legislation discriminates against material published online and was
unworkable. ...

"Electronic Frontiers Australia executive director Irene Graham said the Bill
tried to force internet content into a regime designed for the commercial sale
and distribution of movies, videos and games.

"'The internet is not a movie, it is not a computer game and it is nothing like
television,' she said. 'It is just not going to work.'

"The legislation treated people using the internet 'quite differently, less fairly
and less justly under criminal law' than that applicable to speech and
distribution of information offline.

"'There is a vast amount of material that this Bill can catch,' she said.

"'This is going to cover actual discussions in chatrooms and on email lists.'

"'We are especially concerned about what is, in effect, a complete ban on
information that would be classified as "R" rating.' ...

"The hearings took place last week. The committee is due to report to the
NSW Parliament by June 7."

See Karen Dearne, "Public eyes censorship plans," The Australian, March
13, 2002 at

http://news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,3942637%255E15306,00.htm

q/depesche taeglich ueber
zivile freiheiten im netz

subscribe/unsubscribe
http://www.quintessenz.at/q/depesche/

   http://wizards-of-os.org
   http://waste.informatik.hu-berlin.de/Grassmuck

rohrpost - deutschsprachige Liste fuer Medien- und Netzkultur
Archiv: http://www.nettime.org/rohrpost Info: http://www.mikro.org/rohrpost
Ent/Subskribieren: http://post.openoffice.de