Oliver Grau on 5 Dec 2000 15:33:50 -0000

[rohrpost] INTERNET RESEARCH 2.0: INTERconnections

CALL FOR PAPERS
INTERNET RESEARCH 2.0: INTERconnections
The Second International Conference of the Association of Internet
Researchers
OCTOBER 10-14, 2001
University of Minnesota
Minneapolis-St.Paul Minnesota, USA

Deadline for submissions: Friday, March 2, 2001.

The Internet's ever-increasing points of connection to almost every element
of 21st century life have prompted strong interest in understanding the
social aspects of cyberspace. The popular press offers wave after wave of
speculation and vague forecasts, but what is really needed to help us
understand how to live in our wired world is research: research that is
collaborative, international, and interdisciplinary.

The Association of Internet Researchers invites paper, presentation, and
panel, proposals on topics that address social, cultural, political,
economic, and aesthetic aspects of the Internet.
There's an extra comma between "panel" and "proposals"
Here's a version with these 2 minor changes for cutting and pasting:
CALL FOR PAPERS
INTERNET RESEARCH 2.0: INTERconnections
The Second International Conference of the Association of Internet
Researchers
OCTOBER 10-14, 2001
University of Minnesota
Minneapolis-St.Paul Minnesota, USA
Deadline for submissions: Friday, March 2, 2001.
The Internet's ever-increasing points of connection to almost every element
of 21st century life have prompted strong interest in understanding the
social aspects of cyberspace. The popular press offers wave after wave of
speculation and vague forecasts, but what is really needed to help us
understand how to live in our wired world is research: research that is
collaborative, international, and interdisciplinary.
In September 2000, over 300 people attended the first international
Conference of the Association of Internet Researchers (AoIR) at the
University of Kansas. This Conference built connections among Internet
researchers from across a range disciplines and from around the globe. In
October of 2001, INTERNET RESEARCH 2.0 will offer an opportunity to
reinforce and extend these connections. IR 2.0 will bring together
prominent scholars, researchers, practitioners, and students from many
disciplines and fields for a program of keynote addresses, paper
presentations, formal discussions, and informal exchanges.
IR 2.0 will be held on the campus of the University of Minnesota, one of
the world's most technologically innovative campuses. The conference will
provide opportunities to network, learn from other researchers, hear from
leading players in Internet development, and take in the sights and sounds
of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul.
The Association of Internet Researchers invites paper, presentation, and
panel proposals on topics that address social, cultural, political,
economic, and aesthetic aspects of the Internet. We welcome submissions
from any discipline, as well as work from those producing new media or
working in multimedia studies. Panel presentations which establish
connections across disciplines, institutions and/or continents are
especially encouraged. We also seek presentations which will make creative
use of Internet technologies and techniques, including (but not limited to)
digital art and e-poster sessions.
We suggest the following as possible themes for proposals.
* communication-based Internet studies
* digital art
* distance education and pedagogy
* e-commerce and business
* gender, sexualities, and the Internet
* human-computer interaction (HCI)
* international perspectives on the Internet
* Internet technologies
* law and the Internet, including privacy and copyright issues
* methodological issues in Internet studies
* new media and Internet journalism
* psychology and the Internet
* the "Digital Divide"
* race and cyberspace
* rhetoric and technology
This list is not meant to be exclusive, but rather to trigger ideas and
encourage submissions from a range of disciplines. When we are able to
identify scholars from a range of disciplines pursuing shared themes, we
will work to bring these scholars together for panel sessions.
When preparing proposals, please consider the convention's conventions:
* Most conference sessions will be 90 minutes, with no less than the
final thirty minutes
reserved for discussion.
* The average time allotted for a paper or presentation will be 15
minutes.
If these time constraints are not appropriate for your panel/presentation,
please highlight this in your proposal. Also, please include any unusual
equipment needs or special considerations that might affect your
presentation.
Individual paper and presentation proposals should be no more than 250
words. Panels will generally include three or four papers or presentations.
For panel proposals, the session organizer should submit a 150-250 word
statement describing the panel topic, including abstracts of up to 250
words for each paper or presentation in the panel.
Graduate students are highly encouraged to submit proposals. They should
note their student status with their submissions, and, if they wish, submit
completed papers so their work can be considered for a special Student
Award. The winner of the Student Award will have conference fees waived.
We also invite proposals for pre-Conference workshops. These proposals
should be submitted as soon as possible (no later than January 31, 2001) so
that the workshops can be publicized.
All proposals should be submitted electronically at
http://www2.cddc.vt.edu/confman/
It is preferred that you use HTML to minimally format your submission.
The deadline for submissions of paper/session proposals is Friday, March 2,
2001.
If you have questions about the program, conference, or AoIR, please
contact:
Program Chair: Leslie Shade, University of Ottawa, shade@aix1.uottawa.ca
Conference Coordinator: John Logie, University of Minnesota logie@tc.umn.edu
A(O)IR President: Steve Jones, sjones@uic.edu
More Information about IR 2.0 can be found on the Conference Website:
http://www.cddc.vt.edu/aoir
For more information about the Association of Internet Researchers,
including information on joining the Association, visit AoIR's website at
http://aoir.org </blockquote></x-html>
Jeremy Hunsinger http://www.cddc.vt.edu
Instructor of Political Science Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
Webmaster/Manager CDDC http://www2.cddc.vt.edu/cyber
526 Major Williams Hall 0130 http://www.cddc.vt.edu/jeremy --my homepage
Virginia Tech (yes i need to update it)
Blacksburg, VA 24061 (540)-231-7614 icq 5535471

http://www.arthistory.hu-berlin.de/arthistd/mitarbli/og/og.html