escape on Thu, 4 May 2000 04:23:42 +0200 (CEST)

[rohrpost] __private_extern__

I'm sorry for bothering you again :-), but I noticed a strange datatype
"__private_extern__" being used in xnu like (osfmk/kern/spl.c):

__private_extern__ void
splx(
         spl_t l)
{
         ml_set_interrupts_enabled((boolean_t) l);
}

And in the bsd/kern/spl.c:

void
splx(unsigned l)
{
         (void)thread_set_funneled((boolean_t) l);
}

So it looks like providing a scope when referencing symbols?

Is there a workaround for getting __private_extern__ code compiled by a
conventional compiler? I assume splx would have multiple definitions if
I simply remove __private_extern__.

Is there any plan to eliminate it?

Thanks,

Jun