Amy Alexander on 11 Jul 2001 06:25:43 -0000

[oldboys] sort of re HAL

this article deals with some of the traits of the
stereotypical-geek-personality-type we've been
discussing in the HAL thread:

http://www.itrecruitermag.com/magazine/display-management101.asp?ContentID=603
(written from geek-managers' point of view but you'll get the idea.)

or you might be interested in geeks' perspectives on the article:
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/07/10/1658250&mode=thread

(if you're new to slashdot: slashdot is usually more coherent if you sort
by highest scores first.)

here is one comment from slashdot that i think makes a useful point:

> ...I've dealt with prima donnas, and have probably been one myself
> at some point. Frankly, the best cure I've seen for it is age: Almost
> all prima donnas I know are under 25 and haven't worked more than one or
> two jobs. They haven't yet come into contact with those that are more
> skilled yet, or haven't been given a big enough challenge yet. A good
> programming butt-kicking goes a long way. --

(full text of comment can be found at:)
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=01/07/10/1658250&cid=41

--
plagiarist.org
Recontextualizing script-kiddyism as net-art for over 1/20 of a century.

**  distributed via <oldboys list>: no commercial use without permission
**  to remove your address from the list, send a message to: