Faith Wilding on 7 Jul 2001 14:42:17 -0000

[oldboys] feminism thread

hi old girls/boys: Diana (goddess divine), Josephine, Connie,
tracy--great talk on the list finally. Sorry, I've been gone so haven't
done anything but lurk.
Plant can and should be critiqued stringently at the same time that it
should be recognized that she introduced absolutely crucial thinking and
important ideas to the feminism and technology discourse. As Josephine
points out, Haraway also is foundational and crucial even though her
idea of the cyborg as a liberatory figure can also be (and has been)
critiqued thoroughly. The women and nature discourse of the 70s was not
only or just essentialist. It was also foundational and important and
added to new understandings of how women (and nature) have become a
naturalized category.
I find it really intereresting to read Susan Griffin, say, and Haraway
at the same time with my students. Makes for very rich conversations and
understandings.

I very much welcome this new discussion. hi to all,
faith wilding