josephine starrs on 7 Jul 2001 04:00:45 -0000

Re: [oldboys] insert rant

i agree with diana, that i don't understand these constant bad  reactions
to sadie plants texts.

.....i don't think she said 'the net is female' as such and you are taking
her out of context anyway.
she was forming  her ideas in a time when postructuralist feminist theory
was exploring  metaphors in language which were based on the female body
and sexuality and were different from the phallologocentric metaphors of
patriarchal language. when luce irigaray wrote 'this sex which is not one'
it was liberating  at that time to think of a secret language in terms  of
womens labia constantly whispering.

Sadie was writing when network technology was very much a male domain and
there were theoretical  and academic forces at work to keep it that way.
........she talked about the telephone historically as a technology which
allowed women who were  housebound in the 40's and 50's to communicate and
network (hence all those bad  jokes by men about their wives always being
on the phone). .....when the net became widely available women took to the
technology naturally  being  used to a nonlinear kind of networking in our
communities. ....i think there is some evidence for that as the statistics
say the areas where there are more women users than men are in virtual
communities.

it was donna harraway who first began associating women's bodies with
machines in a very interesting and inspiring way Š...and of course she
debunked all that 70's women and nature essentialist crap with her 'cyborg
manifesto' when she said she would  'rather be a cyborg than a goddess'

Šis obn anti donna harraway as well?

j.

http://starrs.design.nepean.uws.edu.au/
http://starrs.banff.org