Marleen Stikker on Fri, 4 Jul 1997 22:50:38 +0200 (MET DST)

nettime-nl: WORKSPACE DOCUMENTA: WE WANT BANDWIDTH ! (eng)

THE SOCIETY FOR OLD AND NEW MEDIA @ HYBRID WORKSPACE
DOCUMENTA X - KASSEL - GERMANY
FROM 8 TO 17 JULY 1997

WE WANT BANDWIDTH !

WWW.DOCUMENTA.DE/WORKSPACE & WWW.WAAG.ORG/BANDWIDTH

The Society for Old and New Media is invited to the Documenta X to host the
programme WE WANT BANDWIDTH in the context of the Hybrid Workspace .

Hybrid WorkSpace will transform the Orangerie in Kassel into an open media
studio to collect, select, connect, record, and distribute information and
content. Hybrid Workspace can best be described as a temporary laboratory
that produces its own type of content. It also condenses the viewpoints and
positions brought to Kassel by the '100 days - 100 guests' program into
streams of subjective approaches, represented in digital data. Distribution
beyond the Orangerie will be realised via selected zones on the Internet as
well as through print media and radio broadcasting.

THE PUSH FOR MORE BANDWIDTH

In the networked society the kind of bandwidth of your connection will
determine whether you're in the game or out. It's not just about being
flushed by the data-pipes, it's about setting your own trash against the
data-stream. It's about the vision of wired citizens as passive consumers
of virtual corporate waste, versus the active prosumer, the critical
consumer and producer of digitised content.
There are still a lot of questions to be resolved. First of all, who will
own the backbones of the digital freeways of the mind, and will we have
enough space to cast our own content on its tracks? What effect will the
virtual monopolies have on the equal share in the data drive for everyone
who cares enough to bother about it.
On the other hand we might be just a reactionary phantom from a
technologically outdated past, and soon we might be flooded by bit bearing
media. So what are we going to do with unlimited bandwidth? Is the fetish
phantasy of full feed, full speed communication just another screen on
which to project the utopia of an universal understanding between people?
If everybody is a broadcaster, who will shut up and listen?

DAILY PROGRAMME

Connectivity Traces <> Visual Bandwidth

The Image of global bandwidth visualised for you in the Hybrid Workspace in
Kassel. A global perspective on the real dimensions of virtual space.

DX Ping Project

Bandwidth measurement in the Hybrid Workspace:
Bandwidth = the power to speak = the ability to assert yourself = the power
of access = the capital of the information economy.
We measure who owns the capital of the future.

PUSH Back

"May we have your bandwidth please?" will be a public research on the
bandwidth of individuals. Please check the website - www/waag.org/bandwidth
- to fill in the form.

Reports on Bandwidth

Daily reports will be broadcasted from and displayed in the Hybrid
Workspace about the progress of the public demand for bandwidth during
Documenta X, the visiting guests, the global discussions and the local
actions.

Discussions on Bandwidth

The workspace will host regular discussions on global and local Bandwidth,
starting @ 15.00 hrs. Planned are:
- Interview with Tom Keenan  (Media and the war in Bosnia )
- Interview with Saskia Sassen
- Discussion on Local Bandwidth in Kassel, organised in co-operation with
Herbert Meyer.

With each passing day the Workspace will accelerate the demand for
bandwidth to escape velocity.

8 July - 2400 / 2400 bps - flinstonespeed
9 July - 9600 / 9600 bps - obsolete
10 July - 14k4 /14,4 kbps - last year's model
11 July - 28k8 / 28,8 kbps - ok for now
12 July - 33k6 / 33,6 kbps - too fast for most of us
13 July - 56k / 56 kbps - only with a special modem
14 July - 128k / 128 kbps - not for everybody
15 July - T1 / 1,544 Mbps - some have it to their kitchen, some don't
16 July - T2 / 6,132 Mbps - why not ?
17 July - T3 / 44,736 Mbps - speed party !

HOW TO CONTACT US

DE WAAG / SOCIETY FOR OLD AND NEW MEDIA  @
DOCUMENTA X, ORANGERIE WORK SPACE
Marleen(@waag.org) Stikker / Mieke(@vpro.nl) Gerritzen
Eric(@media-gn.nl) Kluitenberg / Michaël(mieg@factory.org) van Eeden
Geert(@xs4all.nl) Lovink / Yariv Alterfin(@xs4all.nl)
Jan(@waag.org) van den Berg

EMAIL:  bandwidth@waag.org
LOCATION: Orangerie, An der Karlsaue 20c, 34117 Kassel, Germany
PHONE: +49 - 561 - 108890
FAX: + 49 - 561 - 108891