Patrice Riemens on Tue, 25 Apr 2017 09:49:09 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-nl] "Vluchtelingen hebben iets goeds te maken en moeten dankbaar zijn"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/04/dina-nayeri-ungrateful-refugee

Prachtig 'long read' van Dina Nayeri in The Guardian. Zij heeft ook een tijdje in Amsterdam gewoond, hieronder de gedeelte van haar stuk die daar over gaat:

"I've been moving back and forth between New York and Europe pretty much my entire adult life. When I lived in Amsterdam, even highly educated people openly complained of "too many Moroccans and Turks" in certain neighbourhoods. Geert Wilders, the head of the far-right Party for Freedom, had warned that the country would soon become "Nether-Arabia".

In Amsterdam, I got to know Iranian refugees who didn't have my kind of luck with their asylum applications. One man in our community set himself on fire in Dam Square in 2011. He had lived in Amsterdam for a decade, following their rules, filling out their papers, learning their culture, his head always down. He did all that was asked of him and, in the end, he was driven to erase his own face, his skin.

Remembering Kambiz Roustayi, a man who only wanted a visa, his family and his own corner of the world, I want to lash out at every comfortable native who thinks that his kind don't do enough. You don't know what grateful is, I want to say. You haven't seen a young man burn up from despair, or an old man faint on a football field from relief and joy, or a nine-year-old boy sing the entire Marseillaise from memory. You don't know how much life has already been spent settling into the cracks of your walls. Sometimes all that's left of value in an exile's life is his identity. Please stop asking people to rub out their face as tribute."

Lal Salaam from p+4D! (7 meanwhile ...)