Walter Langelaar on Wed, 19 Sep 2012 12:00:51 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-nl] Fwd: WORM Abstracting Craft LGRU meeting: the Federated Publishing programme

ge-fwd - excuses voor het engels..

deelname aan onderstaand programma is vrij, en gratis, echter als je mee wilt lunchen kost dat een beetje - maar nu we (nog) op de Witte de Withstraat zitten moet een broodje scoren ook geen probleem zijn.

laat wel gaarne even weten dat je komt en op welke dag(en), via moddr@worm.org

thnx&groet
:w!

*

Dear all,

please find below the outline for next weeks meeting, followed by the daily schedule - which you can also find in more detail at http://worm.org

Walter Langelaar

*FLOSS Manuals and Federated Publishing*

Federated Publishing was anticipated by this astonishing passage from  Marshall McLuhan "Predicting Communication via the Internet (1966)":

 "Instead of going out and buying a packaged book of which there have been five thousand copies printed, you will go to the telephone, describe your interests, your needs, your problemsâ and they at once Xerox with the help of computers from libraries all over the world, all the latest material for you personally, not as something to be put out on a bookshelf. They send you the package as a direct personal service.  This is where weâre heading under electronic conditions. Products increasingly are becoming services."

This is a vision of the book and Federated Publishing. An open network of book production platforms connecting people and books.

In contrast proprietary publishing dominates the search for new distribution formats and economic models, reward systems for authors and others, and fuels an unwillingness to make content interoperable on a technical, legal, or social cultural level. It was this context McLuhan imagined we were escaping. Federated Publishing provides this mechanism.

FLOSS Manuals & Federated Publishing â Presentation & Discussion

In FLOSS Manuals anyone can clone or migrate a book to another platform, reuse and change the book without permission, and publish it wherever they like. This is Federated Publishing. Our presentation will cover our experiences in this area and include an outline of Book Type, the federated publishing system used by FM. The following discussion will invite collaboration to imagine the future of Federated Publishing.

Federated Publishing / Libre Graphics Mini-Sprint

We invite you to take part in a mini-sprint to create a publication on Libre Graphics and/or Federated Publishing. This sprint will give participants an introduction to the process of collaborative writing in real time. Together will will set our objectives, agree a provisional structure and after a demonstration of the Book Type software we will jump right into writing.

The process has some parallels with the Book Sprint methodology that Adam Hyde has developed alongside FLOSS Manuals and Book Type. However a mini-sprint is not designed to wholly complete a book within its timescale. For more info on Book Sprints see http://booksprints.net

*programme*

*thursday* 27th:

10.00 doors open + meet&greet
11.00 meeting introduction by Walter Langelaar of WORM, followed by presentations and updates of LGRU partners & associates;
      WORM (Rotterdam), Constant (Brussels), Medialab Prado (Madrid) and Piksel (Bergen)

13.30 break for lunch

14.30 FLOSS Manuals & Federated Publishing â Presentation & Discussion
      introduction to the meetings topic with Mick Fuzz, Sacha van Geffen and Eric Kluitenberg

16.00 DIY printmaking - The hardware side of Libre Graphics
      with presentations by Rotterdam-based Mesh Print Club and Ewoud van Rijn of PrintRoom - and Yannick Bouillis,
      founder of Offprint Paris, a project space for contemporary photography and a book fair for independent publishers.

18.30 break for diner

20.00 an optional, ad-hoc evening programme in which we can use WORMs spaces for further discussion, extended meet&greet and
      project presentations. Projectors, soundsystems and workspaces available.

*friday* 28th:

10.00 presentations and updates of LGRU partners & associates

11.30 presentation by Nuraini Juliastuti.
      Since 1999 Nuraini Juliastuti is a co-founder and director of the KUNCI Cultural Studies Center, an organisation aiming
      at advancing a wider critical movement to cultural issues through popular education practices and experimental approaches.
      In her presentation she will talk about different levels of illegality and copying in Indonesia, taking KUNCI's library and
      other related examples in Indonesia as case studies.

12.30 presentation by Marcell Mars.
      Nenad Romic (aka Marcell Mars) is one of the founders of Multimedia institute - mi2 + net.culture club mama in Zagreb.
      Marcell will present on his 'FREE LIBRARIES FOR EVERY SOUL (FLES)' project, in which he devised a DIY digital bookscanner
      and a methodology for sharing books online, among other things.

13.30 break for lunch

14.30 Federated Publishing / Libre Graphics Mini-Sprint start
      We invite you to take part in a mini-sprint to create a publication on Libre Graphics and/or Federated Publishing.
      This sprint will give participants an introduction to the process of collaborative writing in real time. Together we will
      set our objectives, agree a provisional structure and after a demonstration of the Book Type software we will jump right
      into writing.

18.30 break for diner

21.00 Panospria netlabel special with Scant Intone + Freida Abtan + Martijn Comes + âDâEâWâ + special guests: Ike Yard
      Panospria founder Constantine Katsiris has been active in exploring the electronic arts since the early 1990s as an artist,
      curator, designer and producer. Originally formed in Saskatoon, snug in the middle of the Canadian prairies, the Panospria
      collective has grown to incorporate independent artists networked across the country. These artists specialize in the fields
      of experimental music, video art, intelligent lighting, fine art and design. After years of activity under the radar they
      now have a home on the web to disseminate their works.

*saturday* 29th:

10.00 presentations and updates of LGRU partners & associates with showcases of the WORM'commisions 'Partsba.se' by Force of
      Freedom and the 'MOL' low-cost DIY lasercutter platform by Snijlab.

11.30 continuation of Federated Publishing / Libre Graphics Mini-Sprint

16.00 closing presentation and discussion with FLOSS Manuals, LGRU partners&associates and guests

18.30 WORM open bar!

http://moddr.net
http://worm.org