Public Space With A Roof on Sun, 6 Feb 2011 02:11:04 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-nl] Public Space WIth A Roof (PSWAR) - BOOK PRESENTATION /A BENEFIT AUCTION

Dear friends, colleagues and collectors,

We are happy to invite you to the up-coming events:

- On Saturday, February 12, (16:00 - 18:00), Huis Marseille Museum for Photography, in cooperation with Christie's Amsterdam, will organize a benefit auction to support high-quality analogue photo- printing by master printer Peter Svenson and his Amsterdam Analogical Printing lab, in short AAP-Lab. The auction will take place in the concert hall of the Felix Meritis Centre in Amsterdam. For the auction and for the exhibition Digital?Analog!, we donated a series of four photographs; Passages Through #2/c2, #3/c1, #3/c2, #5.

Please find the Auction Catalogue PDF (8 MB) attached. All the documents about the auction can be downloaded from Huis Marseille (Museum for Photography) website: http://www.huismarseille.nl/en/news/auction

- On Sunday, February 20, (14:00), at Huis Marseille Museum for Photography PSWAR will present the book: Passages Through (The Unfinished Monument). The book Passages Through (The Unfinished Monument) is a story about a project that never happened. Commissioned by KIASMA Museum in Helsinki, Finland, the project was canceled two weeks before its realization. The sudden news came as a surprise, nullifying months of work and raising the questions regarding the disempowered position of the artists today. As a way of confrontation with the traumatic experience, the idea of creating a book was conceived. The essential part of the original project was an installation built for that particular space, made of three intersecting MÃbius strips âcirclingâ around the gallery, and functioning as a platform for the works of other artists. For the book, we created a model of this structure and used a pinhole camera to photograph it, which resulted in a series of photographs giving the structure a form and âlifeâ we previously did not anticipate. On the images, the structure is still visible, but their blurry and foggy atmosphere shows a different universe, closer to the world of dreams and imagination. The discrepancy between the world of ideas and the possibilities of their execution in the ârealâ, material world functioned in itself as another MÃbius strip that brought us back to our starting question. As it seems, there is no need for censorship today due to a fact that particular artworks will never be produced in the first place.

The book includes 17 series of photographs, each of them offering a different imaginary walk through the structure, a walk accompanied by the fragments of texts by several individuals who inspire us while working on the project: Vladimir Odoevsky, Frederick Kiesler, Walter Benjamin, Susan BuckâMorss, Juhani Pallasmaa, Italo Calvino, and Steven Holl. The book is also accompanied by our own theoretical reflection on the artistic process and the experience we went through after the cancellation of the project.

A project initiated by: Public Space With A Roof â Tamuna Chabashvili, Adi Hollander, and Vesna Madzoski / Photographs by: Adi Hollander and Tamuna Chabashvili / Photo Lab: AAP Lab, Amsterdam / Editors: Public Space With A Roof / Texts by: Vladimir Odoevsky, Frederick Kiesler, Walter Benjamin, Susan BuckâMorss, Juhani Pallasmaa, Italo Calvino, Steven Holl, Vesna Madzoski Text editor: Astrid Van Weyenberg / Designed and published by: Roma Publications, Amsterdam, Roger Willems / Printed and bound by: Drukkerij Wilco, Amersfoort / Edition: 1000

To order this book please contact: http://www.orderromapublications.org/Product.aspx?pid=175

The publication is made possible by individual donations and the kind support by: The Netherlands Foundation for Visual Arts, Design and Architecture and Mondrian Foundation; Materiaalfonds; AAP Lab, Amsterdam; Model & Objekt, Rotterdam

For more information about the lecture program visit Huis Marseille website:
http://www.huismarseille.nl/en/news/rondleidingen-en-lezingen

Best regards and hope to see you there,

Adi Hollander, Tamuna Chbashvili and Vesna Madzoski

ââââââââââââââââââââââââ

Public Space With A Roof (PSWAR)
Orteliusstraat 15
1057 AR, Amsterdam
The Netherlands

postbus 15565,
1001NB, Amsterdam

Email: pswar@xs4all.nl
http://www.pswar.org

For an appointment you can reach us by email or call:
Tel: +31 (0) 611174239, Tel: +31 (0) 628128003
âââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââ