Geert Lovink on Thu, 4 Nov 2010 17:50:31 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-nl] doneer aan Bos & Lommer theater project The Living Room via Kickstarter

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/56600361/the-living-room-a-temporary-art-space-in-amsterdam?ref=search

This is our Living Room project: a physical meeting place for artists, thinkers and performers in the neighborhood of Bos en Lommer, Amsterdam. It will be a temporary space existing for a period of three months which will host contemporary art exhibitions, discursive events, music performances and many other cultural activities.

The Living Room is born out of the experience of living and working in Amsterdam: a city which hosts a large number of diverse communities and serves as a hub for artists and scholars from around the world.

But Amsterdam is also a vivid example of de-politicized and consumerized urban environment which is steadily becoming one of the main characteristics of our neo-liberal society.

Through The Living Room space we wish to create an artistic and intellectual platform that will react to this current situation by questioning the notions of Locality, temporality and community in our precarious existence.

For those who are familiar with the situation in Amsterdam, finding a space is not an easy task. Yet, after months of research and hard work we are finally negotiating for a space located near the border of Bos en Lommer and de Baarsjes (it's perfect!). With your help as well as support from a few local funding bodies, in the next couple of months The Living Room will come into its complete being. We have developed an exciting and detailed artistic program: featuring new works of promising artists, unique collaborations of contemporary performers and discussion series' with some of the most interesting activists and scholars from contemporary.

Just like in our own homes, The Living Room will be a space for congregation, debate and inspiration created by its inhabitants; a place for artists to develop their practice, for thinkers to meet their audience and for the visitor to engage in a truly contemporary experience.

If you've read all this and you want to donate but prefer not do so on the internet, contact us here for details.