Tjebbe van Tijen via Chello on Mon, 10 Aug 2009 23:06:11 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-nl] Appelsap hiphop, Oosterpark = Animals & Humans in city parks: whose terrain?

August 10, 2009 by Tjebbe van Tijen in the The Limping Messenger:
How to do a poll on the level of appreciation of animals of human loud music festivals in public parks and if needed to take appropriate measures? As policy change can be slow, I just designed a set of earmuffs for the rabbits of the Amsterdam Oosterpark (as they have an extreme sensitive hearing apparatus)

[image/video]
The ‘partying nation’ Holland will not fail to use any occasion to throw a public manifestation of leisurely fun which, since ubiquitous cheap electronic sound amplifying devices have become available, means lots of noise enhanced by lots of drinks. One of the favorite venues for these undertakings is the Amsterdam Oosterpark which recently hosted a festival called ‘Appelsap‘ (apple juice) organized by a bunch of friends, all hip hop afinados, which was certainly not non-alcoholic, with Heineken as one of the main sponsors. “THE best) Dutch hiphop-events. In the beautiful Oosterpark we take hiphop back to its roots”, reads their web site. Lots of fun for sure: out, proud & loud … but what about … the roots of the park and what makes up its innate beauty?

[....]

What then,was the idea of having a city park? Bringing nature -in an organized human format – into the city? Giving the experience of a garden to those who did not have one? Breathing fresh air? A practicing ground for civic behavior? A place to show yourself and your family if you were wealthy enough? A way to get some understanding of nature – for alienated city dwellers? Or is all that totally out of fashion and should we better think about a dropping- ground for children, a jogging parcours, a skaters circuit, a music esplanade, a juvenile hang-out, a cruising area, a chill-out spot? Is there any possibility to fuse modern city culture with its apparent need for loud sounds and mass audiences with an ecological attitude that can be branded ‘modern’ as well? Can these two practices be reconciled at all? Might it be an idea to get as aware of people’s “noise habits” as we are of people’s “drinking habbits?”

===

the fully illustrated and documented version can be read at:

http://limpingmessenger.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/animals-humans-in- city-parks-whose-terrain/

Tjebbe van Tijen

Imaginary Museum Projects

Dramatizing Historical Information