Twan on Tue, 16 Sep 2008 15:24:00 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-nl] Call for Participation - Walled Garden: The new [in]equalities endorsed by technology

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

Walled Garden: The new [in]equalities endorsed by technology

Amsterdam, November 20 and 21, 2008

Virtueel Platform organises Walled Garden , an international conference with a focus on the (in)accessibility of information and knowledge. With the rise of online gated and closed communities, a number of issues are becoming increasingly urgent in relation to identity, communities and networks.

In 2007 Virtueel Platform organized Culture 2.0, an international conference and laboratory to introduce Web 2.0 thinking into the creative processes and strategies of cultural institutions.
One starting point was a practical one: in which ways could the developments be applied in the cultural sector? On the other hand we wanted to investigate whether embracing Web2.0 tools and thinking would generate new/other forms of content or approaches - or threaten culture as we know it.

Now that the tools are in place and people have begun to find their way, Virtueel Platform plans to investigate more specific experiences and challenges surrounding the Web 2.0 hype. This will be done through signalling and identifying success factors and failures, and by reflecting on and analyzing Web 2.0 strategies, mobile communication and networked environments. What are the social processes underlying these systems and how does the interplay between new technologies and people s lives vary according to cultures and institutions in different parts of the world and among different social groups? What are the new (in)equalities introduced by differential access to an infrastructure of wireless communication in a world based on connectivity?

Our goal is to work towards a future Web 3.0 a blueprint that reflects the changing structures of our digital world and the processes at work. Topics are still under development but some directions: Life beyond email; The network as laboratory; Convergence of networks; What is it that we are now beyond; The ontogeny of the web.

Format

Walled Garden breaks with the traditional conference format. Instead of programming keynote speakers and plenary discussions we will approach the topics through exploration, experimentation and exchange of knowledge. Structured group dialogue is the main focus, interspersed at set times with inspirational presentations from artists, researchers, theorists and technologists.

People

Sessions will be lead by international researchers, including: Bronac Ferran (Royal College of Art, London), Tapio Makela (University of Salford, UK), Erin Manning (Senselab, Montreal), Sabine Niederer (Institute of Network Cultures, Amsterdam), Matt Ratto (University of Toronto), Edward Schanken (University of Amsterdam), Adam Somlai-Fischer (Aether Architecture, Hungary).

Virtual and physical presentations by: Celia Pearce (Georgia Tech, USA), Mary Ann Breeze (_Augmentology 1[L]0[L]1_ A working manual discussing the formation and evolution of synthetic environments, Aenimae (Performing Creativity Platform), Aymeric Mansoux & Marloes de Valk (Metabiosis), Tom Klinkowstein and Irene Pereyra (2030 a day in the life of..), and many more.

Practical information

We like to invite anyone with a profound interest in innovative strategies, structures and e-culture to sign up. There is a limited number of seats available, therefore a selection process will take place.

In order to participate we like you to write a statement of max 250 words describing why you want to participate and what you would like to get out of the conference. If the number of applications exceeds the available seats a selection will be made based on the provided motivations.

Application for participation can be send together with a short biography before November 1 st to: workshop@virtueelplatform.nl

Location: Lloyd Hotel, Amsterdam

Fee: 150 euro (students 75 euro) for two days, including lunches.

We are also looking for students that like to help us facilitate the event, the discussions and the outcomes. If you re interested please write a motivation + short resume to workshop@virtueelplatform.nl

Volunteering means free access to the Walled Garden! Get inspired, be part of it!

More information and regular updates: http://www.virtueelplatform.nl/walledgarden

* Virtueel Platform is an independent expertise centre that stimulates innovation and supports knowledge exchange in the field of e-culture in the Netherlands. We have an international focus and exchange Dutch e-culture information and knowledge with the international cultural community.