Mieke Gerritzen on Thu, 8 May 2008 07:35:54 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-nl] Next Nature in L.A. - May 17th 2008

Sorry voor het engels, bestemd voor nederlanders en vrienden van
nederlanders in Los Angeles.

----

On May 17th 2008, 8-10 PM the Biggest Visual Power Show takes place
in downtown Los Angeles. Over twenty creative minds will present
their visions on Next Nature. We send you this special edition of our
newsletter dedicated to the event.

BVPS Next Nature 2008 website: http://www.nextnature.net/powershow2008

CONTENTS
- Program Highlights
- Location, Tickets, Parking & Hotel
- The format: Visual Power

PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS

Technology: the Seventh Kingdom of Life
Kevin Kelly, senior maverick at Wired magazine, gives an opening
keynote on the nature of technology. "Our entire system of technology
is now so complex that it forms a tangled ecology of ideas and
devices which support each other. Human mind, so essential for its
birth, play a decreasing role."

Extreme Green Guerrillas
With the worst climate disaster about to happen, our current green
solutions aren't sufficient. They are only making tiny steps forward.
Michiko Nitta proposes the ultimate green lifestyle. Animal rights
artist Tinkebell presents a sustainable designers bag made from her
own cat. Judith de Leeuw traces back her shoes to their place of birth.

The People vs The Beauty Industry
Nowadays plastic surgeons sculpt flesh after photoshopped magazines.
Documentary maker Sunny Bergman offers an intimate peek in a Los
Angeles 'rejuvenation institute'. What is the price tag of a hot,
sexy, hypernatural body?

Corporations want to Survive!
They want to live and grow, not for the benefit of people but for the
benefit of themselves and if necessary at the costs of people.
Recognition is their most successful product: Nowadays children know
more corporate logo's and brands than bird or three species.
Brandalizer Hendrik-Jan Grievink analyzes the strategies. Fashion
designer Karl Grandin goes out hunting for corporate animals.

Visualizing Complexity
Artist David Kremers helps scientists at the California Institute of
Technology to use artistic painting techniques in order to visualize
the incredible complexity of their scientific data. What can we learn
from Van Gogh?

Social Software gone Wild
Casey Alt, young billionaire CEO of Valilogic Software, shares his
views on the emerging phenomenon of social software networks like
Facebook, MySpace, Linkedin, etc. and their relation with the older
social software embedded in human nature.

Sex & Death: Disney or Playboy?
Walt Disney and Hugh Hefner, who seem miles apart, are in fact sides
of the same coin, flipping to decide what the next nature of sex and
death will be. Media philosopher Peter Lunenfeld explains the how & why.

Magical interaction
How to control the wild ecology of electronic devices in your house?
Designer Joris van Gelder proposes 'magic' as a way to interact with
our technological environment. He will demonstrate his magical lamp
and remote control.

User Generated Architecture
My own blog, my own homevideo, my own house. Digital software allows
people to easily copy-paste their own buildings. What are the
consequences of 'user generated architecture'? Will it cause
architects to build tools, rather than buildings? Will we grow more
suburban McMansions or track down & improve the self-organizing
networks in the slums of Sao Paulo, Caracas & Johannesburg?

And there is more...
Gaming Zombies. Autonomous implants. Genetic Surprises. Special live
interventions: You control the camera if you can catch it. Immersive
next nature soundscapes. The state of the stars. Analog vs Digital.
The car is not the limit.

Full list of participants: http://www.nextnature.net/powershow2008/
people.php

TICKETS

Ticket are $15. Online ordering is cheaper than at the door, if you
order two or more tickets. Tickets are delivered to any address
within the US. We thank our sponsors for keeping our ticket prices so
very low.

http://www.nextnature.net/powershow2008/tickets.php

LOCATION & PARKING

BVPS Next Nature 2008 takes place at the recently renovated Million
Dollar Theater, one the pearls of the historical LA broadway
district. It was one of the first movie palaces in the US, built in
1918 at a then astonishing cost of one million dollar. Among the
stars attending the opening night were Mary Pickford, Charlie Chaplin
and Lillian Gish, as well as hundreds of eager fans who lined up for
two blocks.

At the time of its construction, movies were still 'new media' and
the theater was designed as a multi-purpose 'crossmedia' temple. The
(again) modern affordance for different presentation formats,
combined with its vintage grandeur, makes the Million Dollar Theater
a perfect fit to the Visual Power format.

The Million Dollar Theater is located on 307 S Broadway in downtown
Los Angeles, CA 90013, right across the legendary Bradbury building
(known from Blade Runner). Public $5 flat rate parking available next
door.

http://www.nextnature.net/powershow2008/location.php

BVPS HOTEL: THE STANDARD DOWNTOWN

 From out of town? We recommend The Standard Downtown LA. Situated at
walking distance (try that for a change) from the event location, the
place has everything to satisfy your visual power sensibilities: 24
Hour restaurant, roof-top pool, dance floor. A place where second
life is first life.

http://www.nextnature.net/powershow2008/hotel.php

THE FORMAT: VISUAL POWER

Images occupy an increasingly important place in our communication
and transmission of information. More and more often, it is an image
that is the deciding factor in important questions. Of old, images
are associated with the basic instincts of the sinful body, while
text was associated with the sublimity of the mind. With the Visual
Power format we aim to liberate the image as a mature medium of
intellectual communication.

At the Biggest Visual Power Show, over twenty artists, scientist,
writers, film directors, architects, designers, presents their
radical ideas, visionary statements and powerful imagery using all
possible means of communication. The event mixes movies and live
performance, morphs physical experiences into virtual imagination. A
conference, a movie, a concert, all in two hours time.

BVPS Next Nature 2008 is a concept by Koert van Mensvoort & Mieke
Gerritzen (www.all-media.eu).

This low-tech, low-volume newsletter is connected to the website
www.nextnature.net which aims to explore the nature caused by human
culture.

Feel free to forward this newsletter to your friends and friends of
friends. In case you feel you've received this newsletter in error
and don't want to receive our emails anymore, surf to http://