Geert Lovink on Sun, 9 Dec 2007 17:24:36 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-nl] 1st OLPC NL meeting: 15 Dec 2007, 2 PM, in Amsterdam

Onderwerp: 	1st OLPC NL meeting: 15 Dec 2007, 2 PM, in Amsterdam
Datum: 	Sun, 9 Dec 2007 14:55:42 +0100
Van: 	Sabine Hengeveld-Auer <sabine.hengeveld@gmail.com>
Aan: 	contact@olpc-nl.org

Hallo,

you are invited to join our first informal gathering, the very beginning
of the Dutch OLPC grassroots group.
OLPC stands for 'One Laptop Per Child', the non-profit project more
commonly known as the '100 $ Laptop initiative' (see 'General
Information' below).

As a grassroots initiative, we aim to build a network of people that are
genuinely interested in OLPC and have fun in contributing to projects
with whatever expertise they have. Contributions can range from
software, hardware, content, documentation, pedagogical input for
programs to designing laptop-bags, organizing cooperations with other
projects or raising awareness.

Interested? Then pop by at our OLPC-NL wiki -
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Netherlands - and our first meeting on
Saturday.

/*** Please forward this invitation to all people (mailinglists) you
think are interested in the subject..
We want to promote this informal meeting only P2P and every help to
spread the word is appreciated. Thank you.***/

*The meeting*

    * *When:* Saturday, December 15th 2007, starting at 2 pm

    * *Where:* 'Canvas op de 7e' (Horeca & Exhibitions), Wibautstraat
      150 (oude Volkskrant gebouw), 1091 GR Amsterdam; take the elevator
      to the 7th floor.

    * *Getting there:* I won't even get started about parking your car
      in Amsterdam... but the Metro station Wibautstraat is basically in
      front of the building (btw, all metro lines from central station
      will stop at Wibautstraat).

    * *Available infrastructure at the location:* fast and free
      wireless, a beamer, enough comfty seats, an open bar and a
      spectacular view.

    * *Agenda: *The idea of this Saturday afternoon is an informal,
      pleasant and enjoyable get-together. We plan a short intro on
      OLPC, OLPC-NL, XO and Sugar, we will have several XOs available
      for demonstrations, and some people will show what they've been
      working on so far. We'd like to discuss necessary organizational
      aspects of our grassroots group. Also, we'll attempt a livestream
      with the European OPLC grassroots meeting in Vienna. Please check
      http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC-NL_meetings for updates.

*
General Information*

*
What is OLPC*

OLPC is an education project - the idea is that children get the
opportunity to playfully learn to use computers, and to explore,
experiment and express themselves this way. Children easily acquire
skills when using the computers, some might even go further into
programming. Either way, this learning experience gives chances to their
lives, they would otherwise not have. Some developing countries have
already ordered large numbers of XOs to give to pupils in their
countries, also quite a number of XOs can be given to children in poor
regions due to the ongoing Give 1 Get 1 program. The deployment of the
first mass produced XOs has started recently in Uruguay.
The official OLPC website: http://www.laptop.org/en/index.shtml
The official OLPC wiki: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Main_Page
<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Main_Page>

*Hardware*

The laptop is called XO - http://www.laptop.org/en/laptop/ - and is a
very rugged machine to withstand dropping and conditions like dust or
humidity. One of the barriers for computer technology in remote areas
are brownouts or total lack of electricity - to cope with these
conditions, the XO features already a number of ways to generate power
manually. For more outstanding features, like strong wifi-antennas for
mesh networking, see http://www.laptop.org/en/laptop/hardware/specs.shtml

*Software*

All software on the XO is free and open source software. Open standards
are used for the same reason: transparency is empowering and allows to
develop further, as it gives to its users the 'freedom to reshape,
reinvent, and reapply their software, hardware, and content.' Learn more
about software: http://www.laptop.org/en/laptop/software/specs.shtml

See you Saturday,

Sabine Hengeveld-Auer & Bastiaan Bakker

e-mail: contact@olpc-nl.org <mailto:contact@olpc-nl.org>
OLPC-NL wiki: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Netherlands

Disclaimer: We are not speaking on behalf of OLPC, we are just people
that want to contribute to the project.