STEIM on Thu, 17 May 2007 10:03:26 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-nl] [ STEIM ] Sound Lecture May 22 by Kees Tazelaar

Sound Lecture by Kees Tazelaar
- electronic music composer and the new head of the Institute for Sonology in The Hague

Date: Tuesday, May 22
Venue: STEIM, Utrechtsedwarsstraat 134, Amsterdam
Time: 8 PM
Entrance: Free (This Lecture will be in English)
Reservations and more information: knock@steim.nl or 020-6228690

"The title for my lecture is: G.M. Koenig's 'Terminus' as a point of departure.
Koenig composed Terminus in 1962. It was his last composition to be produced in the studio of the Cologne radio. The title refers to the fact that Koenig saw no further possibilities for sound composition within the given technical situation. For me however, discovering the compositional strategies chosen for Terminus created a new perspective on the formal aspects of electronic music composition. Terminus has been one of the most influential pieces of music for everything I composed since 1996.
In my lecture I will discuss some pieces made between 1996 and 2006 with many music examples. I would like to end the lecture with one complete work: Lasciar Vibrare v.5 of 34 minutes."

Kees Tazelaar (July 27, 1962) was taught at the Institute of Sonology from 1981 to 1983 (Utrecht) and from 1987 to 1989 (The Hague). He subsequently studied composition with Jan Boerman at the Royal Conservatory in The Hague, graduating in 1993. Since then Tazelaar has been teaching at the Institute of Sonology. He is head of Sonology since June 2006.
His output as a composer consists entirely of electronic music on multi channel tape. In addition to his autonomous works, he has contributed to music theatre projects by Dick Raaijmakers (Die glÃckliche Hand geÃffnet, Scheuer im Haag) and Theatergroep Hollandia (Perzen, Varkensstal).
In recent years he has also been occupied intensively in the restoration and reconstruction of major electronic works from the past. In his specially equipped studio new versions have been made of compositions by Gottfried Michael Koenig (Klangfiguren II, Essay, Terminus), Jan Boerman (Kompositie 1972, RuÃne), Edgard VarÃse (PoÃme Ãlectronique), Iannis Xenakis (Concret P-H), GyÃrgy Ligeti (PiÃce Ãlectronique no.3, Artikulation), Luctor Ponse (Concerto voor Piano en Band).
During the winter semester of 2005-2006, Kees Tazelaar filled the Edgard VarÃse guest professorship at the Technical University of Berlin

STEIM's lectures are partly made possible with funding from the city of Amsterdam.

STEIM
(studio for electro instrumental music)
(studio voor elektro instrumentale muziek)

Achtergracht 19
1017 WL Amsterdam
Nederland

tel 00 31 (0) 20 6228690