Institute of Network Cultures on Sun, 6 May 2007 17:12:58 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-nl] New Media Lecture Series: Lezing Fiona Raby, van Dunne & Raby, 8 mei om 15u.

Aanstaande dinsdag, 8 mei om 15u: lezing van Fiona Raby aan de Universiteit van Amsterdam, Oudemanhuispoort 4-6 kamer F201C.

N E W  M E D I A  R E S E A R C H  L E C T U R E  S E R I E S

ANNOUNCEMENT

We are very pleased to announce the upcoming lecture.

Tuesday, 8 May
15-16u. (3-4pm) Please be on time!

University of Amsterdam
Oudemanhuispoort 4-6 (OMHP)* [Law Faculty Building]
Room F201C

Fiona Raby, Partner in Dunne & Raby

Designs for Fragile Personalities in Anxious Times

As designers we have an unthinking optimism about the future. We automatically assume that what we design is neutral and implicitly good. There is a deeply embedded ideology that the role of design and architecture is 'to make the world a better place'. But how do we acknowledge our contradictions, our inconsistencies and celebrate a humanness which, if we admit it, is deeply flawed.

Dunne & Raby use products and services as a medium to stimulate discussion and debate amongst designers, industry and the public about the social, cultural and ethical implications of emerging technologies. Many of our projects are collaborative, working with industrial research labs, academia and cultural institutions. Projects include: Hertzian Tales, a combination of essays and design proposals exploring the aesthetic meanings of electronic objects (published by the Royal College of Art, 1999, with revised edition published by MIT Press, 2006); FLIRT, a European Union funded research project investigating location-based services for mobile phones (published by the Royal College of Art, 2000); and Placebo, a collection of electronic objects which explore mental well-being in relation to domestic electromagnetic fields (published by the Royal College of Art, 2001). Design Noir: The Secret Life of Electronic Objects was published by August/Birkhauser in 2001.

BioLand, our current research project, investigates how a critical design approach can be applied to the field of biotechnology. A parallel project, Prescription Products: Designs for Fragile Personalities in Anxious Times, continues our obsession with the psychological impact of an atomised society.

Dunne & Raby: http://www.dunneandraby.co.uk/

*Oudemanhuispoort building pictures: http://www.sco- kohnstamminstituut.uva.nl/star2004/travelinfo.htm

Come early because the building is a labyrinth.

Through the front door, take a right, follow signs for room F201c up to the second floor.

New Media Research Lecture Series, Media Studies, University of Amsterdam

Richard Rogers
New Media, University of Amsterdam
http://home.medewerker.uva.nl/r.a.rogers/