Geert Lovink on Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:40:03 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-nl] Conference ' Weaponization the Media'

We would like to invitation you to participate in a conference about
"Weaponizing the Media," which will be held in Amsterdam, Friday, February
2, 2007. The conference will begin at 9:30 and conclude at 17:00, at
Felix Meritis, Keizersgracht 324.

The conference is co-sponsored by, among others, the University of
Amsterdam, Marquette University, the journal Media, War, and Conflict, the
Amsterdam Center for Conflict Studies, the Dick Scherpenzeel Foundation
and the Netherlands Institute for War Documentation. This will be a
high-profile forum that will bring together scholars and practitioners,
and will lay the groundwork for long-term consideration of the issue.
The format of the conference will include four roundtables and, as
featured speaker, Cees Hamelink, Professor of International Communication
at the University of Amsterdam.

These are the roundtable topics:
"Israel, Lebanon, and Palestine: Covering Conflict, Becoming Part of the
Conflict";
"News Organizations as Political Actors: How Al Jazeera and Others Affect
International Relations";
"News Media and the 'War on Terror': Defining Journalists' Role";
"Journalists as Targets: The Changing Perception, from Embedded to
Combatants."

There will be considerable flexibility within each roundtable, as we hope
to present a wide-ranging discussion of the many facets of the conference
topic.

If you would like to attend, it is important that you register in advance
of the event. There is no cost for registration, but we want to be sure
to have you on the list for our lunch and the reception to be held at the
conclusion of the conference. You can register at: ACS@fmg.uva.nl; see
also: www.weaponization.org <http://www.weaponization.org/> .

We hope to see you February 2.

Best regards,

Nel Ruigrok Philip Seib
Jeannette Mak
University of Amsterdam Marquette University Amsterdam Center for
Conflict studies
conference co-chair conference co-chair conference co-chair