Rob van Kranenburg on Mon, 30 May 2005 15:17:18 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-nl] geef je meterstand eens door

Ik wil meterstanden doorgeven:
http://www.vitens.nl/vitens_internet/?frameset=1&contentpath=thuis/klantenservice/opgave_meterstand_en
Waar woont u?
Ghana?
Hmm.

From: satoko@tni.org
To: waterjustice@tni.org
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 14:59:54 +0200
	<mailto:waterjustice-request@tni.org?subject=subscribe>

Dear all,

Vitens (the largest water company in the Netherlands)  plans to bid
for the management contract for running Ghana's urban water.
Vitens hopes to win the contract in a joint venture with Rand Water from
South Africa, just like Vitens a 100% public utility. Also the French
private water multinationals Veolia and Saur have submitted a bid in this
latest stage of the ten-year long World Bank-driven privatisation process
in Ghana. David Pessey of the Ghana National Coalition Against
Privatization of Water (GhanaCAP) visited The Netherlands a few weeks ago
to express GhanaCAP's concerns about the bid by Vitens. Together with
Dutch NGOs, David had a meeting with Vitens on May 20th.

I forward you the NGO letter that was sent to the CEO of Vitens after the
meeting. The letter argues that Vitens should not engage in privatisation
abroad but instead offer its support in improving public water supply in
developing countries, via public-public-partnerships. For more
information on privatisation in Ghana, see the WDM site:
http://www.wdm.org.uk/campaigns/aid/ghana/index.htm
Ghana CAP: http://www.ghanacap.org/page.aspx

In solidarity,
Satoko Kishimoto
Transnational Institute

Nijmegen, 26 May 2005

To:      Jos van Winkelen
Chairman of Vitens' Executive Board
Boogschutterstraat 29A
7324 AE Apeldoorn

Cc: Provinciale Staten  Gelderland, Provinciale Staten Overijssel

Dear Mr. van Winkelen,

With this letter we would like to thank you for the opportunity to
meet with you and express our concerns about the proposed
privatisation of water in Ghana.  Let there be no doubt that we
welcome Vitens' commitment to contributing to  the Millennium
Development Goals by sharing the company's management  expertise. As
a world-class public water company Vitens can make a  tremendous
contribution, but bidding for the Ghana privatisation contract is
not  the right way to move forward with this commitment.

Although the Ghana management contract is different from previously
proposed privatisation models, it is the outcome of a ten year long
push for privatisation  of Ghana's water by the World Bank and the
government, in a flawed,  undemocratic process in which other options
have not been seriously  considered. The public water company (GWCL)
has suffered tremendously in  the process of preparing for
privatisation; instead of reforms to improve its  capacity, GWCL was
starved of much needed investments and staff morale was  undermined,
leading to an outflow of professionals. The government's
justification and the models of privatisation proposed have changed
over time,  but the goal is still privatisation, which GhanaCAP (the
Ghana Coalition against  Privatisation of Water), a broad based
coalition of individuals and civil society organizations, such as
trade unions, gender rights groups, students, residents and
community associations, religious bodies and service delivery /
advocacy non- governmental organizations, considers a threat to
securing water as a common  good and a human right for all Ghanaians.

This political context and the widespread resistance to privatisation
is a reality that cannot be ignored by those considering bidding for
the management contract. We assume that you, as the head of a public
water company operating  in a country where the legal framework for
water provision explicitly rules out  privatisation, will understand
for the position and vision of GhanaCAP.

In GhanaCAP's opinion, the alternative to privatisation is to
strengthen the capacity of the public water company (GWCL), for
instance by introducing decentralisation and citizens' and consumers'
participation to improve its accountability. GhanaCAP is a strong
proponent of international Public Utility  Partnerships (PUPs) and
other forms of public-public partnerships to improve  and sustain the
management capacities of GWCL. Such PUPs can take many  forms, all
with the bottom-line to improve the long-term local capacity for
public water delivery. As you may know, public-public partnerships
were  endorsed both in the modalities of the ACP-EU Water Facility
and by the UN  Commission on Sustainable Development (April 2005) as
key tools for  expanding clean water and sanitation in developing
countries.

We hope that Vitens will reconsider its bid for the privatisation
contract and instead propose the World Bank and the government of
Ghana to explore other  options, centred on capacity building for
GWCL as a public company, accountable to the Ghanaians. It is our
opinion that advocating and implementing public-public partnerships
would be the logical and innovative  way forward for Vitens in acting
on its value added as a public company as well  as its commitment to
the Millennium Development Goals. We would strongly  welcome Vitens
taking a leadership role in this field and are more than willing  to
co-operate with you in pursuing initiatives in this direction.

Thank you again for your time and please do not hesitate to contact
us with any question or proposals for future action.

Yours sincerely,

Friends of the Earth International -Longena Ginting
Corporate Europe Observatory - Olivier Hoedeman
Both ENDS - Pieter Jansen, Sjef Langeveld
Transnational Institute - Satoko Kishimoto
Ghana Coalition against Privatisation of Water- David Pessey

http://www.virtueelplatform.nl/person-1024.25.html&lang=en
http://blogger.xs4all.nl/kranenbu/
0031 (0) 641930235