knock on Wed, 6 Apr 2005 14:28:26 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-nl] [ STEIM ] Announcement Reaktor Workshop by FX Randomiz

STEIM presents: Reaktor workshop

On April 25 through April 28 FX Randomiz will give a workshop on
Reaktor.

The workshop will be hands-on, alternating between fx presenting
different aspects of Reaktor, and the participants working on their
computer to try out things.

The workshop will concentrate on creative sample processing with
Reaktor and therefore on building and reverse engineering specific
ensembles for that aim.

We will learn about the vast possibilities when working with Reaktor
not as a plugin, but as a standalone tool for creating and manipulation
loops and samples. The so called destructive editing offers sonic
results that are not possible otherwise, and it opens up a quite
different way to interact with other sound processing software.

"On the first day I plan to give a brief introduction in the modules
and building blocks of Reaktor, so that also beginners can follow the
next days. I will present a selection of existing sample-processing
ensembles and will also show how to build recording-devices into
existing ensembles, that adjust themselves to the tempo of any
sample-loop you load. They also alow a very quick way to resample the
sonic output and immediately use it as a new sample-source - a more
intuitive way of working than rendering or bouncing inside a host
software.

On day two and three we will mainly reverse engineer some ensembles and
also go the opposite way of adding functions to existing ensembles. In
a workshop of a few days this makes more sense than building a simple
ensemble from the ground up, as this way we can handle more complex
structures and keep it interesting for beginners as well as experienced
reaktor users.
I have selected some of my own and manipulated ensembles for that
purpose, where all but one of them you will not find in the library:
two sample processors that create a great variety of sample loops out
of other sample loops and can even be used as composition tools; one
live tool, based on realtime manipulation and stacking of sample-loops;
one sample based drum machine that offers compositional tools similar
to the now popular chaos designer; one resampling and re-recording
device for quick destructive editing like described above.
Often some easy tricks raise the potential of an ensemble exponentialy,
often some small addition makes working with a tool much more
comfortable. One major goal is to learn how to quickly adjust ready
made ensembles to your own needs and fit them to your own musical
thinking and working.

On day four we'll kind of get back to the beginning and explore how the
newly created tools can interact with each other to get to small
compositions made entirely with Reaktor as a standalone program. Where
needed, even in the process of creating music we can still insert
useful functions into the ensembles as part of the compositional
process. The results will be used as sources inside the live tool for a
big jam session all together."