Tjebbe van Tijen on Sat, 4 Dec 2004 23:23:34 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-nl] COUP >< REVOLUTION a false dichotomy (in reference to the UkraineOrange Revolution)

Today (4-12-2004) an article with the following header was posted by
Johannes van der Spek on nettime-NL:

"The "Orange Revolution": US-Engineered Coup or European Model of
Peaceful Revolution?"

he did not write something himself just posted an article from The
Weekly Bulletin of the Transatlantic Democracy Network

http://www.demdigest.net

which had some critical remarks on some European commentators of the
recent events in The Ukraine, who saw US involvement and support of
democratization movements in Ukraine now, and  in Serbia and Georgia in
the near past, as problematic, as a kind of imperialist democratization
process. The full text you will find below my reaction, so I will not
attempt to reproduce what is said. Just give my reaction which is
mostly about the heading as shortened in the subject line of the
Nettime-Nl mailing list:

Ukraine: US-Engineered Coup or European Revolution?

The sloganism of the header  irritated me* and it took me a while to
find out for myself why so:

* tjebbe van tijen

COUP > < REVOLUTION a false dichotomy

The word 'revolution'  has as many meanings as the number of historical
events denoted by it. Each historical moment which gets a name with
the word 'revolution'  may be linked to  thousands of other moments
with that same word, still all those revolutions will have settings in
time, space and mood that are unique.

Jacquerie, riot, rebellion, insurrection, upheaval, rising, revolt,
boycott, strike are some of the words closely related to the word
'revolution', often seen as the first steps in a serious of events that
culminate in a change of power relations, temporal or lasting. The
words used for these first steps are mostly associated with actions of
the oppressed, those who are not in power, lower classes, proletariat,
'the people' , antipodes to rulers, oppressors, dictators and the like.
Mostly but not exclusively, as  army officers can rebel, aristocrats
revolt sometimes, magistrates may strike, soldiers may lie down their
arms.

The other part of the dichotomy used in the article on the recent
events in the Ukraine is 'coup', (full term coup d'etat) with a whole
series of related terms: overthrow, putsch, power seizure, take over,
palace revolution, conspiracy, cabal, plot, intrigue, treason,
machination, scheme, frame-up. All these terms firstly associate with
activities of those in power, government, military, political parties,
church, ... Again not exclusively so, as workers do conspire, trade
unionists or soldiers may seize power, activists plot, civil servants
scheme.

Coup and Revolution are often part of the same historical process.
Social unrest may develop to such a point that an existing power
relation gets unstable, creating a temporal power vacuum, which never
fails to attract people who want to fill the void. Such a claim of
power is mostly made in the name of others:  peasants, workers, the
masses, 'the people'. Only in hindsight it will become clear that what
was labeled  'people's power'  can not be much more then a constitution
of a new ruling class that, maybe, will do better than the one before.
Coup and revolution breed each other, an unwanted coup may lead to a
revolution and a revolution necessitates a coup, someone, some group
will take advantage of circumstances and establish a new power.

A 'new power' will, most often, proclaim its legitimacy by reference to
the revolutionary events simultaneous with its rise. It does not mean
that such a 'new power' has been  exclusively propelled into control by
such revolutionary events, all kinds of other - outside - elements may
also have been influential: secret deals with elements of the  old
power, threats of foreign intervention, shifting of alliances within a
power structure.

The term 'revolution' is of course problematic, we tend to know when it
started but it is often difficult , sometimes impossible, to tell when
it ended. Proclaiming the 'permanent revolution'  is nothing but empty
words. Once "a revolution"  is claimed by a new power, its life span is
certainly over; 'real practice'  will be transformed into symbolic
representation; and it is surprising how much of an old system survives
in a new one, how "new institutions"  breed old ideas.

The term 'revolution' - in its modern sense, as it was at first an
astronomical term - is mostly used for a drastic an far reaching change
often, but not exclusively so, in a short period of time. Another usage
is for long periods of (slow) persistent change, like the 'industrial
revolution'.  A society in a state of turmoil is like a storm, a
violent weather condition that will calm down after a while.
Revolutions are generally of such an order, they are momentary, so
'revolutionary moment' instead of 'revolution'  tends to be a more
precise term.

The term 'revolutionary moment'  implies a beginning and an end. It can
be that such a historical moment finishes in its suppression by a
challenged power, producing a failed revolution. In case it is
successful - with the existing system shaken and about to fall -
someone, some group will need to seize power, thus marking the moment
after which the social storm will go down. Thus the shaking of power
(revolution) is followed by the seizure or grabbing of power (coup).
Shaking and grabbing are closely related, but not intentionally so.
Those who do the shaking certainly want change, and, at a certain
moment - be it at their own initiative or at the suggestion of someone
else - they start to act. Once they act, they will need to devise their
own methods; they will make decisions of how and with whom to
associate; they will need to create their own social structures
overnight; their social abilities will be challenged and enriched.
These are the moments of real (revolutionary) practice, moments of
personal empowerment for many.

It is in the process of shaking that the mind awakens, solidarity is
wrought, future seems to be in your own hands... Even when some agent,
conspirator or schemer has provoked such a movement, the effects of
'revolutionary practice' (or the more neutral notion of
'self-organization') tend to go far beyond  the original impetus. The
starting motive can be a local discomfort or some form of disagreement,
the end result may be a challenging of the whole existing social
system. Some time is needed for such an awareness to take root and most
often the revolutionary process is aborted half way, by a seize of
power local, regional or national.

Modern state interests are widely spread and deeply rooted in society.
Heads of state can be made into disposable figureheads when it really
comes to a crisis. The continuity of a state systems tends to come
before personal or categorical interests. Sacrificing a reluctant ruler
and some parts of the clique associated with him, is a logical and easy
way out of a revolutionary situation. In the end a 'coup' is not
something feared by the state but an essential element for its
survival. When a social revolution, a movement with a wide popular
participation, has evolved to the point that it starts to create
alternative structures for those of the state challenged, these nascent
state structures will be too limited in scope and can endanger the same
society that seeks to free itself from violence and oppression. However
paradoxical it may sound, some form of 'coup d'etat' must be made to
prevent that from happening. The sudden erasure of social structures
that took many decades, often centuries, to  evolve, creates an
'unstable state', which is something to be feared by everyone.
Compromise becomes  the most radical solution to keep most of the old
structure, by allowing some changes to be made. The creation of a
completely new order is out of the question ... or one should be
willing to pay the price of massive bloodshed to arrive at a social
system that will be soon even more abhored as the one originally
contested.

What remains of the short periods of personal empowerment, the
revolutionary moments, better remains in the consciousness of everybody
involved, instead of being canonized in party slogans and discredited
in hollow state symbolism. The new rulers will have some form of
compliance, a temporal mandate, not to be abused; a feeling of
dependency of something which can not be put in to laws, what is there
nevertheless: the personal experience of many that they are able to
organize themselves that they can challenge authority.

Tjebbe van Tijen

Imaginary Museum Projects
dramatizing historical information
http://imaginarymuseum.org