geert on Thu, 2 Sep 2004 09:26:25 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-nl] civil intelligence: lezing Douglas Schuler 6 september 13.00 uur

From: Peter van den Besselaar <Peter.van.den.Besselaar@niwi.knaw.nl>

Op maandag 6 September a.s. geeft Douglas Schuler (Evergreen State College, Washington, USA en Seattle Community Network) een voordracht over "Smart Enough Soon Enough? Understanding and Enhancing Society's Civic Intelligence".

De voordracht begint om 13.00 uur in de symposiumzaal van NIWI, Joan Muyskenweg 25, Amsterdam. U bent van harte welkom.

Met vriendellijke groet,

Peter van den Besselaar

Prof. dr Peter van den Besselaar

Head of Department
Social Sciences Department & Netherlands Social Science Data Archive (Steinmetz Archive)
NIWI-KNAW
Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences
Joan Muyskenweg 25
PO Box 95110, 1090 HC Amsterdam
+ 3120 462 8656 (phone)
+ 3120 665 8013 (fax)
+ 316 5124 0609 (mobile)
http://www.niwi.knaw.nl/en/maatschappijwetenschappen/staf/peter_s_home/toon

Douglas Schuler:
"Smart Enough Soon Enough?
Understanding and Enhancing Society's Civic Intelligence"

>From global warming and disease to famine and war, humankind is faced with enormous challenges that won't go away. With our sophisticated knowledge and advanced technology, one might assume that we would be
making progress on all these fronts. Yet, in many cases, the situation seems to be growing worse. Is there anything that people, working individually and with others, can do to help make progress on these problems? Or should we just count on others, presumably those with more insight, experience, time, and money, to take care of things?

Civic intelligence is a concept that is intended to help us better understand -- and improve -- society's collective problem-solving abilities or what Dewey called the "final pooled intelligence constituted by the contributions of all." Although society employs civic intelligence already, society's need for collective problem-solving skills has never been more acute. My objective is to collaboratively construct a model or theory of "civic intelligence" that is useful for developing those skills and helping us pursue a more conscious evolution of our collective capabilities.

"While what we call intelligence may be distributed in unequal amounts, it is the democratic faith that is sufficiently general so that each individual has something to contribute, and the value of each contribution can be assessed only as it entered into the final pooled intelligence constituted by the contributions of all." -- John Dewey, 1937

His article, "Cultivating Society's Civic Intelligence: Patterns for a New 'World Brain'"
was published in Journal of Society, Information and Communication, vol 4 No. 2