geert lovink on Wed, 29 May 2002 04:05:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-nl] Announcing a new MA in Media Design (Piet Zwart Instituut Rotterdam)

From: matthew fuller [mailto:matt@axia.demon.co.uk]

Announcing a new MA in Media Design
Piet Zwart Institute, Rotterdam, The Netherlands

The MA in Media Design is a new course offered by the Piet Zwart Institute.
We are the postgraduate centre for art and design of the Willem de Kooning
Academy, Hogeschool Rotterdam.

Systems not surfaces

Too often, media design has simply been the arrangement of pixels and
plug-ins. For us, the computer and the networks are where dynamics that are
aesthetic, social, political, technical, spatial, linguistic, rythmnic,
economic, numerical, meet and shape each other. The role of the designer is
to track, sort and remix these dynamics in relation to others.

Technology, theory, practice

In a working context where software is doing half the thinking and doing
for you, where is the divide between theory, technology and practice? This
course is commited to a fundamental revaluation of the division between
these terms. We will look for and invent the technology that is in media
philosophy; find the conceptuality of an operating system; and design in a
way that synthesises the power of all three.

The MA course lasts two years and is carried out as a series of group and
self-initiated projects. In certain cases participation in single projects
may be arranged. Core themes in our programme are: transmission, use,
behaviour, and experience; knowledge and memory; the political economy of
the information society; citizens and consumers, public and private
identities; urban and virtual reality, network and diaspora.

Find more information at http://pzwart.wdka.hro.nl/

Applications for 2002-2003 are welcome until September 1.

For further information contact Femke Snelting, F.Snelting@hro.nl