fran ilich on Sat, 22 Feb 2003 06:59:02 +0100 (CET)

[nettime-lat] nuevo miembro del US Department of Art & Technology.

hola,
si les interesa lean a continuación mi designación como nuevo miembro del US
Department of Art & Technology. saludos!

f.
---

US Department of Art & Technology
http://www.usdept-arttech.net
Office of the Secretary

secretary@usdept-arttech.net

Fran Ilich
Author & Editor

Dear Fran:

It's a great honor to confirm your appointment and welcome you as Under
Secretary for Free Cultural Distribution and the Disintegration of Borders &
Boundaries of the US Department of Art & Technology. I'm grateful that you
have agreed to this great opportunity to serve your country.

I have set three clear goals to guide America's art & technology policy.
First, we will strengthen the bond of trust between the American people and
those who work hard as our nation's artists. We'll give them the tools they
need, the respect they deserve, and a voice in shaping national policy. The
US Department of Art & Technology is dedicated to challenging the status quo
inside the US Government.
Second, we will work to defend our people against growing threats: the
threats of corporate controlled media; information saturation;
cyber-addiction and abandonment; loss of identity through the mediation of
reality; and other dangers due to lack of preparation in an increasingly
cybernated society. We will confront the new threats of a new century.

Third, we will begin creating the art of the future, art that takes full
advantage of revolutionary new technologies. We will promote the new media
by redefining the way interactive artworks enable agency through the
collective action of the individual. These are great and exciting
objectives, and the US Department of Art & Technology is focused on
accomplishing them.

To serve our country as a member of the US Department of Art & Technology
will be both an honor and a privilege. However, government service is not
for everyone. The hours are long and the pace intense. There is much
public/press scrutiny, as you would expect in an open, democratic form of
government such as ours. You should assume that all the information you
provide during any part of this process is ultimately subject to public
disclosure, if requested, per the Computer Art and Aesthetics Act of 1986
and Title 18 U.S.C. Sec.1001 and 1030. Most appointees' dealings with the
Federal government during and for a period of time after their service will
be significantly restricted to prevent possible conflicts of interest.

Serving our nation is very demanding, as the jobs and appointments are
demanding of those selected for them. I appreciate your willingness to serve
and want to make it as easy as possible for you to pursue your farsighted
interests within the Administration. Only those with visionary aspirations
and revolutionary concerns for the future of our nation's cultural heritage
have been considered for positions in the US Department of Art & Technology.

I look forward to working with you in establishing a freer and more utopian
world through the implementation of new policy that advances the role of the
arts in Government, and our ability to transform and reshape its archaic
systems.

Fran, congratulations on your new appointment.

Yours truly,

Randall Packer
Secretary, US Department of Art & Technology