::bernhard:: on Wed, 22 Dec 1999 12:48:25 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> (x)art

> The opportunities for the everyday exposure of art are becoming less and
> less frequent .  Art has increasing difficulty surfacing in even
> intermittent bursts into "pop" culture.  It is becoming more and more
> difficult to discover anything outside the hegemony of capital and exchange;
> this "spectacle" has a mind of its own now.  We are lost, regulated at best
> to sort of hit and run ventures.  As artists we can hope to conjure only
> moments of brilliance, briefly exposed and then buried again in the
> perpetual real-time light of commerce and thus desert of over-exposure.

I still can't give up to think artists have the function of sensors in society.
We could call it resistance or subversion or (as Attali does) composition. If
you have gone through the corporate machine, your ideas been abused, your
energy been sucked out so what remains can only function as the consuming
machine you realize how important this is. And we should have time to think
things over. Of course it's tough when every little space you find, be it real
or virtual, gets conquered by capital soon after. Let the foam of commerce
bubble on the surface, then artists can work underneath, emerge and disappear
again. Hit and run is no bad tactics for the moment I think. Politics has
surrendered, artists shouldn't.

b.

--
 Bernhard Loibner