nettime's_WTO_reporter on Fri, 3 Dec 1999 21:38:54 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Seattle digest (x6)

Mike Weisman <popeye@speakeasy.org>
        Forward: Message from Artis the Spoonman
Russell Mathews <russellm@maths.uq.edu.au>
        Collateral Damage in Seattle
"Ivo Skoric" <ivo@reporters.net>
        Seattle2
Patrice Riemens <patrice@xs4all.nl>
        The Real Story from Seattle - 12/1/99 (fwd)
brian carroll <human@architexturez.com>
         WTO imagery
"B Trinen" <trinen@seanet.com>
         chaos in Seattle right now as we read!

Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 08:19:54 -0800
From: Mike Weisman <popeye@speakeasy.org>
Subject: Forward: Message from Artis the Spoonman

The following message was broadcast locally by Artis the Spoonman. Artis
is an internationally known artist, poet, and street performer. He lives
in Seattle.  I have not included the attachment, which was a small jpeg
picture of police gassing residents. Contact information for Artis is in
the message.

>Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 20:05:57 -0800
>To: Recipient List Suppressed:;
>From: artis <artis@olympus.net>
>Subject: Skid Addle From Seattle, rewritten for easier access to some
> press - Distribute as you will------->
>
>Violence and destruction are closely related but in journalism and
>reporting civil dramas interpretations need to be explicit.
>The raucous in Seattle this week has not been a violent activity
>perpetrated by demonstrating citizens.  Notice I didn't use the
>isolating terms "demonstrators" or "protesters".  The violence was
>assigned from the top.  The police force was ordered to use chemical
>weapons to promote the image of "violence" for assimilation by the
vast majority of citizenry sucked into the vacuum tube feed of information.

--
Please respond to:
Mike Weisman

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 18:16:12 +1000 (EST)
From: Russell Mathews <russellm@maths.uq.edu.au>
Subject: Collateral Damage in Seattle

Details from another perspective, forwarded to me by prijatelju Ziggy.

Russell M.