Brian Brotarlo on Thu, 25 Nov 1999 11:18:31 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> NO SECRETS

Have any prospective date yet, as to when this would happen?

Property rights are gonna go the way of the tulips. What would happen was, we
would be asking for too much mobility and we'd be getting it. Information
prices would be inflated above Real commodities because of demand--big demand
for the right information, or, as a second alternative, incessant demand for
more and more information. Upper-middle families that has two or three cars in
the garage would be considered poor. In fact, though the reliability of these
cars won't deteriorate, would even hover, they would be considered second rate
means of transporatation. Let's face it, sometimes roads and signs are not
enough to always get you where you want to go. It won't even advice you to
stay home, since it's raison d'etre is to keep going. In fact there are a
couple of companies that could give you what you really wanted (even if that
is just to sit down in a particular chair in your apartment, either to watch
TV or read a magazine or merely to look up to a particlar in the ceiling) for
a price. You'd pay on line and transfer some necessary stats for complete
satisfaction. Much of the cost for this contentment of course shouldered by
interested advertisers, who in turn needed these personal stats for their
company strategies--to make soap or to hawk insurance policies. Money after
all is easier to get than that right idea.

One thing remains good, the more you are master of yourself, the less need
there is to expend money. So say, for minimum wage, you can eat on every meal
and have a decent apartment, even a sleek hover car. But in case you get an
idea of selling this self-help capability, remember that Art isn't
copyrightable anymore, at least not completely. Just too much RPM. Sure, if
you were an information Age actor (you still don't understand if those people
really exist), people might be tricked to buy. So how to make your life story
information age ready? What if what you come out in the end is usually junk
already proliferating cheaply or freely?

You have to make yourself get out of bed and get that corporate job wherein
all the power resides. You have to admit, it has that gleam inside.

Brian Brotarlo