nettime's_digestive_system on Fri, 19 Nov 1999 23:41:10 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Re: olia lialina: Re:art.hacktivism (3x)

1........ Craig Brozefsky
2........ Craig Brozefsky
3........ Max Herman

1--------

Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 19:40:52 -0800
From: Craig Brozefsky <craig@red-bean.com>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Re: olia lialina: Re:art.hacktivism

olia lialina <olialia@teleportacia.org> writes:

>> Counter-question: Are you really familiar with the net in general
>> and net servers in particular? On any Unix-like server, it's quite
>> easy to set up a cron job that mirrors http://art.teleportacia.org
>> every one hour or even every five minutes if you like.
>
> of course it is possible but what sense do you see in it? what for will you
> waste your time making  mirrors of my gallery. you want to have it?

I don't think Florian wants your gallery, but I believe his question
was illustrating some problems with your description of "net art".
You say that one can make hundreds of copies, but the next day they
will be outdate.  Florian's question asked if this is true when one
can actually copy your whole site every few minutes, including the
updates you make.

You also said that the result after the update would be "outdated
pages with not actual information and broken links".  But this would
not be the case with a properly done mirror, which would have no
references to your page at all.  Another fun thing is that mirroring
software can do other transformations on your work, it could strip out
your name from all the pages, or translate it into a new language.

Mirrors also cannot handle information generated dynamically when the
user visits the site (without explicit cooperation of the site
constructors), instead of capturing the dynamics of the work, they
will just have a snapshot.  It's like the difference between a
photograph of a performan!ce art peice, and actually attending it.

You then said that online art is not frozen, like a book or a CD,
which is indeed true.  This is partly true.  Some online art is
static, while others are constantly changing.  The "copyability" of a
work, and the way copying impacts it are not universals across all net
art.

An interesting note, you refered to Florian's website which has been
placed under the GPL.  The GPL guarantees my ability to copy his site
and work, regardless of who distributes it.  This "copyability" and
more importantly, one's ability to modify these copies is the crux of
the GPL.  The GPL evacuates the "author" from a work, and any
authority they have over it, by making anyone else able to copy and
modify the work.  Copying in this case is not only a "big deal" is it
one of the primary goals of the license.

--
Craig Brozefsky                         <craig@red-bean.com>
Free Scheme/Lisp Software     http://www.red-bean.com/~craig

2--------